Engine swap

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
bitza

Engine swap

Post by bitza »

I have seen a 3G L S With a wrecked engine, would a G 9 or model 20 twin be a fairly straight forward
Swap .
Duncan

Re: Engine swap

Post by Duncan »

In principal yes as the frames are generally the same, engine plates, primary chain case, exhausts and a head steady clamp are the first considerations that spring to mind.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Cheers, I guessed that's what the job entailed , thank you for the reply , I need to put some feelers out now.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Duncan wrote:In principal yes as the frames are generally the same, engine plates, primary chain case, exhausts and a head steady clamp are the first considerations that spring to mind.
Electrics and carb. Gearbox ratios ? single frame will not have head steady bracket. Do you have the bike registered, so will only have to declare an engine change. If not there may be unexpected problems when you try to register the bike.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Bike comes with up to date V5.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

bitza wrote:Bike comes with up to date V5.
Up to date would be V5C
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If the V5 is current it is easily updated to a V5C and will happen as part of the change of ownership process.
If you fit a twin engine into what is registered as a single you will have 'substantially modified' it and will no longer qualify for MOT and Vehicle Tax exemptions.

Regards Mick
bitza

Post by bitza »

ok rob, were on the same song sheet,
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

At the end of the day, its your property to do as you wish with. But you do need to consider problems that may arise. If your bike is now quite an original 350. It will end up a bitza. Perhaps lowering its value.
bitza

Post by bitza »

I go along with your comments Rob, I completed a G 9 restoration a couple of years back a family bike from new, but I saw this 3 GLS
and thought it would make a decent project, not concerned about residual value, immaterial to me, just something to waste my time on over the winter months.