Racing Camshafts Markings and dimensions

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
paulvk

Racing Camshafts Markings and dimensions

Post by paulvk »

Hi . Can any one tell me how to recognise the racing Hi Kit Camshafts please ?.
Thanks ..Paul
ajscomboman

Re: Racing Camshafts Markings and dimensions

Post by ajscomboman »

Some are stamped RK but the main giveaway is the fact that they are bloody great lumpy things that are almost square with the corners knocked off. Horrible things unless you are planning to have the throttle pinned open all the time. There is very little torque from these cams low down in the rev range as that's not what they were designed for. May I ask what your intention foe usage is, I had a set a long time ago that I got rid off as I simply couldn't put up with them for everyday road use in my 63 CSR. Got rid of the twin carbs as well for the same reason! Looked great, performed rubbish unless on full chat.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Looking at your other postings I now assume that it will be on full chat if it's for the G45 and you intend to use it in anger. The parts service had some at some time and I just tried looking to see if there was a picture but sadly there isn't.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

I have a set of RK cams in G11CS, a lot of torque also in the bottom, but they give a little bit noise from the valve gear, I have also twin carburettor fitted no problem with tick over
Regards Poul
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I have to say that I was running with 10.25 CR pistons as well and low down torque compared to the single carb was rubbish as was the slow speed running on a club run. Along with a 24 tooth engine sprocket etc it really needed the beans to keep it in the correct rev range. Now with the same gearing and single carb with touring cams it'll potter along without snatch and still pick up cleanly.
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

Hi, Thank you for your replies , Cams are for a G45 i'm building.. Seen advert on here ((( 9 Jul 2019
This is a members advert Genuine race kit camshafts for Matchless/AJS twins. Manufactured by AMC in perfect condition with no wear or damage. Will post within U/K. £210:00 pair. Contact Steve on 01604 407049. Or 07929 522163.))). I paid
Bank transferred and they arrived today, Looking at them they look ordinary with no markings.. and already have two pairs the same .!!. As i have not actually seen the hi kit race cams i thought best to check what thay should look like and what markings they should have before i contact the seller.
Regards..Pauk
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Post a picture end on so we can see the profile.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

I only have a picture showing the markings
Poul
Resized_20190214_102244.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulvk

Post by paulvk »

Hi.. This is a pic of camshaft .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'd say you were correct, they look like standard touring cams. I've got some pictures of RK cams, I'll go through them and post them, maybe not tonight though.