Over charging a battery 1959 G3

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
leobailey

Over charging a battery 1959 G3

Post by leobailey »

Running a 1959 G3 on 12V, it has a 10 amp single phase, two wire alternator and an A Reg One (regulator rectifier combined) from Paul Goff.

My concern is that starting with a fully charge battery, the ammeter always shows a 4 to 5 amp positive charge when running with ALL LIGHTS ON.

Details of my electrics are
PAZON electronic ignition
60/55 halogen headlamp bulb
All other bulbs pilot, tail and stop are LED

My question is will the continuous 4 to 5 amp charge knacker my battery up, and is there any way to spill off some of the excess charging capability.

Or should I stop looking at the ammeter. :?: :beer:

Leo
Mick D

Re: Over charging a battery 1959 G3

Post by Mick D »

Hi Leo

What does the ammeter indicate with the lights off?

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Not surprised it's charging at that rate, if you look at the headlight alone that's drawing 5 amp on high beam, electronic ignition must be around 2-4 amps depending on coil type used and led's 1/2 -1 amp. Then i's got to top up the battery on top of that draw. Unless it doing the same with nothing on then I'd not worry. If it's still banging out 4-5 amps with no load demand, PANIC! :D :D
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Not surprised it's charging at that rate, if you look at the headlight alone that's drawing 5 amp on high beam, electronic ignition must be around 2-4 amps depending on coil type used and led's 1/2 -1 amp. Then it's got to top up the battery on top of that draw. Unless it doing the same with nothing on then I'd not worry. If it's still banging out 4-5 amps with no load demand, PANIC! :D :D
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

I'd be inclined to suspect the reg/rectifier - I've had several of the A-Reg Ones fail mostly for overcharging but also drawing current from the battery when everything is switched off. I now only use the Boyer Powerbox, I know they're double the price but I've yet to have one fail.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

As a matter of interest what size amperage Hr is the 12v battery?
leobailey

Post by leobailey »

Ok so I've had time to check out further.

With everything off except of course the PAZON electronic ignition, when run at a very fast tick over the amps show about 6 amps but settle down within 5 or so seconds to 4 amps.
The battery capacity is 6Ah

In the past I've always used a solid state rectifier and a Zenner diode to achieve 12v system, but when I bought this bike the stator had seen much better days. Since I was replacing it with a 10 amp two wire single phase stator ( and new rotor ) I decided to go whole hog and use the modern A One Reg.

So Lights on 4 to 5 amp charging, lights off almost the same. Comments ? :rofl:

Leo
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

That's not a big battery to supply electronic ignition as that on it's own can draw up to 4 amp. Before diving into replacing too many components why not just run it for the time being. Worst case is it'll kill the battery and that's not that expensive to replace.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

This sounds completely wrong to me, (though I'm no electrical authority).

The ammeter on my 61 conventionally wired G3 will indicate about half an amp charging with just the ignition on and bike running, this never rises above an amp in this condition. If I select the lights on it will rise but still indicate less than 1 amp.

I would not expect the ammeter to display the total load currently, (sic), being drawn, just the difference between the load and supply being experienced by the battery. (eg, load -6A + Supply +7A = Indication +1A).

If Leo's battery is actually being charged at 5+ Amps, (which it sounds like it is), I feel it will certainly be damaged in short order.

I agree with Leo in suspecting the rectifier and my first course of action would be to confirm the ammeter readings with the aid of a multimeter.

Regards Mick
Winkie

Post by Winkie »

I agree that the problem points to the rectifier/regulator. My model 31 has a hybrid system 9f magneto and 2 wire alternator, with an A type rectifier/regulator. There is hardly any charge with the lights off; just a small charge when the brake light comes on. With the lights on the charge rate is only 1 to 2 amps at most. The system is keeping itself in balance, which I think is about right. A faulty battery can also cause slightly similar problems. If the battery fails to reach it's full charge the rectifier will tend to keep pushing charge into it. Also check the connections on the rectifier, particularly the earth.