Tyre Fitting

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Tyre Fitting

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Am I the only one who really struggles when fitting tyres due to the lack of a third arm?

Today I put a tyre outside in full sun, (25 degrees - Scottish heat wave), to make it pliable. Lubed the beads with my newly purchased tub of tyre soap and proceeded to fit. The tyre slipped over the rim, (brand new stainless), relatively easily and the inner tube went in with only a little faff getting the valve secured through the rim, long nose bent pliers helped here.

Getting the second bead onto the rim was more problematic :roll: the tyre soap is really good, much better than hand soap in my opinion, the bead slips nicely over the rim with a little persuasion from the tyre levers - just the last third to pop over the rim now, should be easy ;)
As I gently ease a bit of tyre over the rim the corresponding bit at the other end pops off the rim :x
So I'm reduced to using two tyre levers to work the bead over the rim and a third to stop the bead from escaping from the rim - this is where my lack of a third hand comes to light.

How do others perform this routine task by themselves? Is there a 'magic' tool that can lock the bead from slipping back off of the rim that doesn't require my knee to, (fail to), hold it in place?

The tyre is on now and I don't need to wash off the soap as my sweat has done that already :)

I'm thinking of making a tool that will hook over a spoke and the rim which will prevent the bead's bid for freedom - but I thought I'd ask here for advice in the hope that I may not need to.

Regards Mick
cbranni

Re: Tyre Fitting

Post by cbranni »

Only thing I can say Mick is "are you starting the fit from the opposite side from the valve".

Kind regards Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do the same as you more or less. Having fitted the tube, very loosely fit valve nut. Then put a bit of air in the tube, any levers that may slip in will go under it. Also the tube cannot get under the tyre rim. Slacken off the valve nut and push the valve in. It will give more clearance getting the first bit of the tyre seated tight. Most of the tyre will just push on, rubber mallet may help. Now the last bit. Using a small thin spoon type lever, say in left hand. Hold that lever until the tyre is about to slip in and stop in that position. Then using a larger long lever, to give you more strength, pop the tyre on. Perhaps on that last bit also throw the L/H lever forward. Should be easy enough with a new soft tyre. The older & harder the tyre is, the more difficult it becomes. I just noticed a comment come in about the valve, which I have mentioned in a little more detail, as to why start at the valve.
clive

Post by clive »

I struggle too Mick, and whilst the tyre soap makes it easier to fit it also makes it easier to pop back out. One of our section members has the solution, he takes the wheel out and gets the local motorcycle shop to fit the tube!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

clive wrote:I struggle too Mick, and whilst the tyre soap makes it easier to fit it also makes it easier to pop back out. One of our section members has the solution, he takes the wheel out and gets the local motorcycle shop to fit the tube!
I find that the tool I use to break the bead works just as well to get the bead back over the rim when refitting. Tire soap and wheel wetter help a lot if you're dealing with OLD rubber.
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

clive wrote:One of our section members has the solution, he takes the wheel out and gets the local motorcycle shop to fit the tube!
I used to do that, but as I'm a tight a**e I'm trying to reduce costs - how does that work with a flat on the road - insurance recovery?

Keep the responses coming please - if only to confirm I'm not the only one who struggles :beer: :beer:

Regards Mick
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Maybe try this method......................

only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've not had too much of a struggle when as much of the bead as possible is set well down into the rim centre / spoke line. I only have the valve security nut on a couple of turns so that I can push the valve up away from the tyre bead.
The Mitas tyres seemed to go on more easily than the Dunlop K70 or Avon Speedmaster tyres.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

Having fitted a new tyre to Glyn's bike last week, I know I used three levers, two feet and a knee, not all at the same time. I'd forgotten I've a small tub of tyre soap until I read this thread. I struggle with the G2's 17" tyres though.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I'm with Rob. Plenty of WUL and fit into valve area first. I've "walked" tyres around a rim before now with one lever to hold the initial fit from plopping out.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein