Tyre Fitting

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Re: Tyre Fitting

Post by Mick D »

Hi Clive

I believe the dot indicates the lighter point of the tyre, for example see below from the Dunlop website:

WHEEL BALANCE
It is essential that tyre/wheel assemblies are balanced before use and rebalanced each time the tyre is removed or replaced. Unbalanced tyre/wheel assemblies can vibrate at certain speeds, and tyre wear will be greatly accelerated. All Dunlop street tyres should be installed with the yellow balance dot at the valve. Wheels may be balanced with spoke nipple weights, lead wire or self-adhesive rim weights. Please consult the motorcycle manufacturer for approved wheel weights.

I think the confusion has arisen over the years from people using the term 'opposite' the valve stem when meaning adjacent to.

Regards Mick
Janet

Post by Janet »

'Opposite' seems to be used to mean different things so for clarification, have I got this right?

1) If the tyre has a balance dot, it goes on the rim adjacent to the valve. Yes/No?

2) When fitting the second side of the tyre, start at the part of the rim furthest away from the valve. Yes/No?

Post by 1608 »

Correct on both accounts Janet.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Apologies, Mick and Janet have it exactly right and what I meant but didn't make clear.

Cheers

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

Thanks for the explanation, when I do get a tyre with a dot on it I will know what to do now!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix