Cams fitted to twins how cam I tell the different types?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
LynP

Cams fitted to twins how cam I tell the different types?

Post by LynP »

Hi, please can anyone tell me how to identify the difference between the various cams (Inlets in particular), fitted to twins over the years of which there seem to be 3 types, is there any way other the markings like SS found on some? I have two inlet cams, one from my 1961 motor which has red paint dots and bronze coating, which I believe was to do with the hardening process, on the shaft. The other cam has no paint, no bronze and no other markings, surely all cam were heat treated. Finally, when I drew around the cam profile of the 1961 cam profile on the second cam looked to the same. Any thoughts on the above greatly appreciated. LynP
ajscomboman

Re: Cams fitted to twins how cam I tell the different types?

Post by ajscomboman »

There are indeed 3 types, ignore the SS markings as that's a little bit of a red herring. The earliest cam profile was very much like an ice cream cone with symmetrical sides, the latter were more off set with quieting ramps added ( bit fatter at the top), and the race cams were a similar profile but even more square. A picture however speaks a thousand words, try posting some and I'll let you know what you have
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thank you ajscomboman, I have added one picture I have already, if it is not enough to identify the cams I will take some better ones. The bottom cam in the picture is from my 1961 motor.
Last edited by LynP on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LynP

Post by LynP »

I have added two better pictures of the cams I have including one picture with the exhaust cam. As far as I can see the both the new inlet and my 1961 inlet look the same. What I wanted to be sure of before I build the motor is that all the cams I have are the 1960 on versions.
Last edited by LynP on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Try again, end on showing the cam profile.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hope these better.

Inlet1.JPG
Inlet2.JPG
Inlet and Exhaust Cams.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.