Carburettor

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Duplex

Carburettor

Post by Duplex »

My carburettor is leaking from the bell mouth its a mono block on a G2
Any suggestions, its been stripped and blown through.
Mick D

Re: Carburettor

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It sounds like the float is sticking down or the float needle valve is leaking. It may do this on the side stand but if it's doing this on the centre stand you'll need to fix it.

Check the float is not punctured, (give it a shake, can you hear fuel inside?), it moves freely on it's pivot, there's no debris on the needle or seat - if this fails check the float chamber level by attaching a clear piece of tubing to the pilot jet - the level should be co-incident with the dot on the chamber cover, (where it says 'AMAL'). If it's high replace the float needle.

Regards Mick
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

thanks mick the float and the needle are new but will check anyway not sure about the float level but will give it a go
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I find float / needle sticking is a common fault, also make sure the float is properly assembled or it may not want to float
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Are you using a vitron tipped needle?

Do you have the small brass spacer in the correct place on the float axle?
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi I had a problem with flooding it turned out to be the little brass spacer was a little too long and was causing the float to stick. Took a bit of finding as if the carb is on the bike and the cover fitted it is difficult to diagnose. A new spacer solved the problem.
Andy E

Post by Andy E »

I had the same problem with the spacer on the float pivot of a new carb. I reduced its length to sort the issue.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As I said check both. Also correctly assembled. Before you put the cap back on, just raise the float. You should see if the needle is striking in the right place, then gently lower it, noting if the needle is following it down
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Thank you all for your advise, it looks like the problem is now solved after doing all the checks and rebuilding the leak has stopped
Cheers Duplex