G5 no compression

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
vigo

G5 no compression

Post by vigo »

Gents, a few weeks ago I bought a non runner that had lost compression. Investigation revealed 1/4 inch play in exhaust push rod, sticking valve? Head off revealed the copper gasket had been pinched and was distorted by escaping gas. But that's not why I'm writing, a layer of metal is missing about 3/8 long on the rim around the head dome. This is not a gas seal area as the copper gasket sits outside of the damage. The damage reveals what seems to be a different metal beneath and I would like to know how the head is constructed. Unfortunately Ican't see how to attach pics in forum.Anyway the head is back on with good compression.
Any wisdom appreciated.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: G5 no compression

Post by Eamonn »

vigo wrote: Unfortunately Ican't see how to attach pics in forum.
For instructions see this topic:
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=12424
Corners like a Lego man
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

The head casting is 100% aluminium alloy apart from the valve seats .
Cheers
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

To attach a picture start writing your message as I am doing, look down underneath the message box and you will see a tab " upload attachment" CLICK ON THAT AND ANOTHER BOX WILL OPEN, click on the "browse" tab to get your picture off your PC or whatever, make sure it isn't bigger about 250kb or about 640 x 480 pixels, click on the picture and the name of the picture will appear in the box below the browse tab. Hit add file and then submit
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Is it possible that this different metal is lead? Remember, these bikes ran on leaded fuel and it did build up everywhere on head.
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Could it be the valve seat?
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Lightweights have a hardened exhaust valve seat that looks like it's made from phosphor-bronze.
They vary in size and it looks a bit like a repair (but it's not, that's how they came from the factory...)

Here's a photo of mine:
IMG_2370.jpg
Here's another one (off eBay). In this case, the hardened seat material extends all the way into the head gasket area. Looks strange, but apparently normal:
s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

and here's mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

It was only the later heads that had the bronze type seat - mine have two steel seats.
Cheers
vigo

Post by vigo »

vigo wrote:Gents, a few weeks ago I bought a non runner that had lost compression. Investigation revealed 1/4 inch play in exhaust push rod, sticking valve? Head off revealed the copper gasket had been pinched and was distorted by escaping gas. But that's not why I'm writing, a layer of metal is missing about 3/8 long on the rim around the head dome. This is not a gas seal area as the copper gasket sits outside of the damage. The damage reveals what seems to be a different metal beneath and I would like to know how the head is constructed. Unfortunately Ican't see how to attach pics in forum.Anyway the head is back on with good compression.
Any wisdom appreciated.
Thanks for the interest. That ebay head pic posted by clanger9 is similar to mine and I'm now convinced the exhaust seat is what can be seen exposed.The bike is now back together and I had it running. Let's see if it stays together.
The valve lifter was out of commision from previous owner, no cable.
Now here's probably a daft Q but why don't I need a valve lifter when booting my 850 Commando but this G5 has one?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk