Rocker end float

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Rocker end float

Post by 56G80S »

Hi everyone;

Out for a ride last night and thought I'd check the tappets as it's now arund 1500 miles since reworked head and relined barrel fitted.

I'd left tappets a little slack on re-assembly on purpose. It seemed nothing had changed much, exhaust more loose than inlet. Adjusted once cooled down to warm. Exhaust rocker has (unmeasured) end float which I'd guess at half a mm but always seems more than it really is. Inlet miniscule end float. Plenty of oil up there.

There's no play in the bushes/axles themselves and I'm tempted to ignore it until next winter. I remember the mess it was all in when I last replaced them and certainly nothing like that! Everything else running fine.

Any thoughts?

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Re: Rocker end float

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:I'm tempted to ignore it until next winter.
I would...........and the summer after that ;). Maybe re-torque the head now if you feel so inclined and haven't done so, but certainly re-adjust the pushrod-rocker clearance.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers Sprid

Head was re-torqued at 500 miles as per manual. I've set tappets to the book now as well, easy spin no clearance while engine warm not hot. I've read about people having trouble with thickness of the spanners for this job but fortunately I don't. I bought a set of Britool "C" spanners after getting the Matchless back in the 70s and they're still working fine.

Who knows, next winter may acquire another engine, slot it in and do more work on this one that's in. There are small jobs that need doing but I may also finally fit the timing side bush that's been in the "new parts" tin for the last 10 years and perhaps a precautionary replace big end. Alpha did it last time so who knows what I'll find. They said they'd fitted an "oversize" pin. No up and down play in it but a little side to side. Can't go on forever.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote: Can't go on forever.
That's much like the rest of us John, so don't worry about next year......enjoy now :beer:
I may also finally fit the timing side bush that's been in the "new parts" tin for the last 10 years and perhaps a precautionary replace big end.
I know you cover high mileages on your bike but the conscientious attention you give it puts my "If it 'aint broke...." approach to shame :oops: and I'm retired.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Terry's spanners are very thin for the job, just need a thin spanner on the bottom nut. Old bicycle spanners were also thin flat tools. Plenty to be found at car boot sales.I picked up a shoe box full for £2.