Long Kickstart

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spookefoote1956

Long Kickstart

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I've been having a bit of trouble kicking over the beast. It seems my little legs just don't have enough oomph. I tried a method previously mentioned of keeping the valve lifter open then dropping it at the last moment. This worked once, never to be repeated. Now I am considering extenting the kickstart by two inches to inprove my mechanical advantage. Has anyone else done such an adaptation or do you have your own personal sure fire method of kicking over (other than brute force).

Cheers, Chris

Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
clive

Re: Long Kickstart

Post by clive »

Chris are we talking about the two AMC 500s in your profile or what looks like a BSA Gold Star in the photo? No idea if its a Gold Star but i have a technique for the AMC singles.

From cold Start by flooding the carb, retard the ignition a little if it is manual, (these two vary bike to bike and need a bit of practice to find the right one for your bike.)
Use the kickstart to take it up to compression. Allow the kickstart to return to the top then use the valve lifter to allow the kickstart to travel about 2/3 of its full travel down again. Stop and allow the kickstart to return to the top. Then start the bike. It does not require much in the way of strength. I sit astride the bike to start it this way so no great jumping around on the kickstart. I am only 5ft 7ins. Using this method what you are doing is starting the swing on the induction stroke and ensuring compression comes part the way through the swing rather than at the end.

I would have thought that short legs and a longer kickstart would just make it more difficult to manage.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Definately AJS, the photo was for a giggle. Thanks for the advice Clive, I'll give it a go.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

I have always just passed the compression, then let the kickstart up and kicked, reasoning that I had the longest "run up" to overcome the next compression. Imagine my surprise upon, just now, following the Clive Method and starting numerous times without the least problem!

Thanks very much Clive, I'm never too old to learn or modify what I would have sworn all my life was the most efficient way of doing something. I used to start my brother's M21 when i was 13, therefore thought I knew the best way! :headbang:

So whilst the bike was ticking over, quite regularly with the occasional cough, I heard the carb clicking! The slides well worn even though the carb looks new. Ordered an oversize brass slide from Surrey Cycles so I don't risk getting bored with nothing to do to the bike! :roll:

Cheers, Dave.
Janet

Post by Janet »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Image
I used to know a chap with a wind-up Beeza. It was very fast but it needed to be so he could catch up with everyone else. :rofl:

I have little legs and my lightweight has a long kick-start. This means I have to lift my foot onto the lever in order to bring it down to where I can give it some oomph. Oomph doesn't start when the leg is bent double at the knee.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Ironically, I've always used Dave T's method. Until I had the sticking AR unit when I made more use of the valve lifter through the kick with late release of the lifter.

Perhaps I'll try Clive's.

Johnny B
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

56G80S wrote:Ironically, I've always used Dave T's method. Until I had the sticking AR unit when I made more use of the valve lifter through the kick with late release of the lifter.

Perhaps I'll try Clive's.

Johnny B
I never got away with, or deemed it necessary, holding then releasing the decomp, it's too difficult always to replicate the exact timing of release and if you get it wrong it's as painful as anything!