Gear box sprocket retainer

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Harry44

Gear box sprocket retainer

Post by Harry44 »

Hi, The little screw that holds the gear box sprocket retaining plate has been butchered. Nothing in my collection of nuts and bolts seems to fit.

Its a 57 18s with an AMC box

Can anyone tell me what thread it is please ?
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Rob Harknett

Re: Gear box sprocket retainer

Post by Rob Harknett »

I assume you mean the round head screw that holds what looks like a locking washer. pt. no. 000450 3/8" x 2BA.
Now I repeat myself now for the 3rd time this week, Most standard fittings have been used since the prewar era. Post cira 1952 parts lists do not give some many dimensions as the pre 52 parts lists did. So check your pt. no. here http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ements.pdf
If the part was used prior to circa 1955 you will see it listed, in the description you will also see the dimensions. You may not spot if the pt. no. in question was used years ago. 100's of parts were. Over a 1,000 of these parts started with a 6 digit number, prefixed with at lest 3 zero's 000001 to about 001100. So they are sure to be listed in the above book. A lot quicker to DIY than ask here and wait for answers. See with your own eyes what is correct. To convert to the old part number, delete all the prefix zero's and replace with STD ( eg. STD1 .... STD1100 ) Always use the new pt. no. when ordering. Club spares stock the screw you want for 11p. inc VAT. They also put the size. So somewhere else where you can discover a fitting dimension of a part / fitting if its in stock.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Thanks Rob, I did look in the club spares but could not find the screw, only the sprocket, out of stock, and the lock washer.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Harry44 wrote:Thanks Rob, I did look in the club spares but could not find the screw, only the sprocket, out of stock, and the lock washer.
Ashampoo_Snap_26 April 2019_00h30m47s_001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Harry44 wrote:Thanks Rob, I did look in the club spares but could not find the screw, only the sprocket, out of stock, and the lock washer.

Out of stock, we've got over 4000 of them at Kettering! I have just updated the system to place the screw in the gearbox section as well as the chaincase section as it doubles up for 2 different fittings.
clive

Post by clive »

ajscomboman wrote:

Out of stock, we've got over 4000 of them at Kettering! I have just updated the system to place the screw in the gearbox section as well as the chaincase section as it doubles up for 2 different fittings.
4000 sprockets surely not? If so we will have cornered the market. :roll:
More seriously isn't this why our spares are part number driven. Look up the part number in your spares list, which we have all got haven't we if not we can go to the archives, then check the part number on the spares site. If you are adding uses for the 2 BA screw 000450 then include the screw for retaining the inspection cover for the AMC gearbox.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

It say the sprockets are in stock now but yesterday it said no stock ho hum
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Thought we were talking about the 3/8" 2BA screw pt. no. 000450 that secures the gearbox sprocket lock washer. It may well have been used in other areas of a bike since the prewar era.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Hang on we started talking about the screw, hence the 4000 plus number in stock. As for sprockets they've been in stock for a long time.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

StatlerandWaldorf(2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'