Unidentified AJS frame

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Balazs

Unidentified AJS frame

Post by Balazs »

Dear everybody!

I'm new in this place, so forgive me any troubles and idiot questions :) I've bought a cycle, and half of it, is AJS. I need some help about it, because the frame modified sadly. In my opinion it should be M2, the frame numbers destroyed, that I've found is a number under the saddle. Here some photos, anybody have some information, advice, or idea how and where I can start the rebuild...

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipP ... To2ajI38pn

Thanks a lot :)
Rob Harknett

Re: Unidentified AJS frame

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do not have a google account so cannot access the pictures. I assume the bike is a 1929 V twin. The frame number is found on the R/H side of the bike, at the end of the tube running under to petrol tank just below the saddle. The same number would have been on the engine and gearbox when the bike left the factory. All the numbers would ID year and model of the parts if not all the same year/model. You could contact me direct at prewar@jampot.com
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Balazs

Your link to the photos does not seem to work.

Malc
Balazs

Post by Balazs »

Here is the pictures, I hope it's work :)

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The frame and number has been changed. What ever was underneath the over stamped number cannot be seen. Its not a 1929 AJS M1 V twin number that has now been stamped. What about gear box and engine number have they also been got at ?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It looks like it was a twin, now with a mag in place of the rear cylinder............. :?

Engine number 1557 (or 1537?) 18288:

and the g/box is a ............

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Balazs

Post by Balazs »

:D Aaa the engine is TIZ AM 600 ~1940 this is a russian clone of BSA sloper 600 (I'm looking for BSA parts for it too, cause everything is similar to Bsa, except the main frame ... :D), the gearbox is Gilera 500 Sport ~1930, the front fork is modified Zündapp KS600. The wheels and the mudguards is question yet. I'll take photos later just for interesting. So the cycle really international motorbuilder nightmare..... I wants to rebuild the Ajs and the BSA clone too, its a long way I know, but I've time :D