Wellseal Instructions

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spookefoote1956

Wellseal Instructions

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hello again. I've ordered some of that Wellseal goo having heard good reports about it. Some websites suggest applying some to both surfaces and leaving it five minutes, some overnight. What do any of you suggest?

Cheers, Chris
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
cbranni

Re: Wellseal Instructions

Post by cbranni »

This what I do, it my not be right but it's what I do, say for example the timing chest...............apply wellseal only to engine side face, place gasket in position on the wellseal and then place cover on and tighten screws, my theory is if you need to remove the cover at some point it comes away easily and leaves the gasket on the engine.

If there is no gasket I apply well seal to both sides and tighten straight away then clean dribbles with petrol.

I also recommend buying a tin of it not a tube, it's much cheaper as it's shelf life is very good, (it doesn't go hard)

Only my opinion.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi Spooky

Wellseal is brilliant. I use it on both sides of the gasket and then hang it up on a length of wire, and then on both mating surfaces. I leave it for at least 10 minutes before assembly - on vital joints such as head gaskets I leave it overnight. It never goes off and gaskets normally stay in one piece on disassembly.
A pot is much better than a tube and it will probably last a lifetime. Apply it very sparingly with an artists brush and clean off any which squidges out with thinners.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

+1 for what Jim says. Ive used nothing else for years and my bikes dont leak oil. Buying a tin is much cheaper which also appeals up here in Yorkshire :D

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Similar to the above, the only jointing compound I use nowadays.

I find it easier to apply to the case with it horizontal on the bench, add the gasket and apply a second layer of sealer - assemble after around 10 minutes.

I use the wooden coffee stirrers available for free on any high street for spreading the compound.

Didn't realise it was available in 500ml tins :cry: just bought a tube to replace my first one which I've been using for several years now.

Regards Mick
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

JimFitz wrote:Hi Spooky

Wellseal is brilliant. I use it on both sides of the gasket and then hang it up on a length of wire, and then on both mating surfaces. I leave it for at least 10 minutes before assembly - on vital joints such as head gaskets I leave it overnight. It never goes off and gaskets normally stay in one piece on disassembly.
A pot is much better than a tube and it will probably last a lifetime. Apply it very sparingly with an artists brush and clean off any which squidges out with thinners.

Jim
Head gasket? Tough stuff!
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Many thanks, Chris :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Dave T wrote:
JimFitz wrote:Hi Spooky

Jim
Head gasket? Tough stuff!
Hi Dave

The recommended tried and tested way to get a Sunbeam S7DL head gasket to seal, solid copper or composite - and it works!

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Wellseal for me too, excellent stuff. Recommended by VW back in the day for assembling their Air-cooled engines crankcases which are joined vertically with no gasket. I used this when I rebuilt my beetle engine back in the early eighties and have used it since. More recently(two years back) I used it on my Yamaha RD350 engine rebuild and no leaks
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i just use some cheap artist brushes to apply it , a few bits of scrap plywood to lay gaskets on to coat them with etc .

one thing i would mention is that the tube of welseal will have a tendency to dribble out the end if you leave it laying about with the cap off or have squeezed it a bit and compressed the tube , or when you have gripped the tube and then took cap off, especially when its hotter weather .