Dynamo bearing grease

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mac01

Dynamo bearing grease

Post by Mac01 »

1949 AJS 350.
What is the recommended grease for the Lucas Dynamo bearings ?

Many thanks.

Mac.
clive

Re: Dynamo bearing grease

Post by clive »

Would have thought any high melting point grease.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That's what it says in the bikes instruction book Clive. No one seems to read them though. You may also see not too much grease, also, it helps expel water, smear a little grease on the Bakelite end in wet weather to expel water, clean comutator and brushes if greasy. Some dynamos give access to the end of the shaft. In which case the book will say apply light oil every 4/5,000 miles. Finally it states, bearings are packed with grease on assembly, which should last until they need to be overhauled. So reading the instruction book would have answered the question asked in this topic, also give additional info that has not been asked. I have always said. Read the 1941 G3L WD instruction book. It gives more info than a post war instruction book, for common questions that apply to most bikes. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
Mac01

Post by Mac01 »

Thank you.
The dynamo had too much end float, hence the strip down.
I seem to remember using a cream coloured grease, back in the 70s, which probably was HMP.

Mac.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mac01 wrote:I seem to remember using a cream coloured grease, back in the 70s, which probably was HMP.
I think from my apprentice days in the 60's that the cream stuff was known as 'water pump grease' - a bit like cream cheese........... :?
I use high melting point Castrol LM in my grease gun for everything, including for finger-smearing on shafts etc., but Copperslip on nut and bolt and spark plug threads.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'