Oil Filler Cap

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Oil Filler Cap

Post by MalcW »

Hi all. I have just lost the second oil filler cap off my 650 twin. It's my fault - I didn't do the usual 'check it's on really tight' before setting off on a run. I've ordered a replacement, but before it arrives I wondered whether anyone else has had the same problem, and how they got around it. My current thinking is perhaps a thick rubber band cut from a bicycle inner tube, or similar.

Cheers,

Malc
Mick D

Re: Oil Filler Cap

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Isn't this a bayonet type fixing? it should lock itself on in a detent and have to be pushed down to enable it to turn the cap past this. Have a look at your oil tank filler neck and see if the bayonet is blocked with paint or muck.

The caps you have bought were sprung weren't they?

Regards Mick
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Mick

Yes, it is a spring loaded bayonet type. I'll take a look at the oil tank itself, as you suggest.

Malc
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

To over come a loose fit I've cut an additional cork seal to fit inside the cap out of the spare cork that comes with the tin chain case clutch dome. This creates additional friction and means it can't rotate off which I've also experienced once before.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Rivet a bath chain to the cap and a V-shaped wire, with a loop in the v, to the other end of the chain. The ends of the wire should have reverse bends to prevent the v slipping out of the filler neck.

Rob C