G80 Piston

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rob Harknett

Re: G80 Piston

Post by Rob Harknett »

Rubber is certainly not as good as it used to be, foot rest and handle bar rubbers soon split.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

No silicone needed at all.
Ensure that the correct washers are fitted....
Pushrod washers and rubbers.JPG

I have some NOS rubbers but even they have hardened so I use BS 210 Nitrile 'O' rings. I don't remember how many I fitted to each p/rod as I've not had to replace them in 12 years but they must at least equal the length on the original collar as they rely on being compressed in order to make a good seal. These are they...
100_1420 (640x480).jpg

About £6.50 plus VAT for 50 rings. Available from........

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advan ... ords=bs210
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I will stick to rubbers. Always been OK for me. I can rebuild the engine knowing it will be OK. I would rather do that than take a chance it may leak and I will have to do it all again. BUT I am usually using old NOS gasket sets.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Where can I obtain an NOS gasket set, por favor? I need one now I've demantled everything! Along with a gearbox sprocket (mine looks like it came from a pirate ship, HaHarr Matey) and other sundries.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Dave T wrote:Where can I obtain an NOS gasket set, por favor? I need one now I've demantled everything! Along with a gearbox sprocket (mine looks like it came from a pirate ship, HaHarr Matey) and other sundries.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165-AJS-350- ... rk:38:pf:0
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

spookefoote1956 wrote:
Dave T wrote:Where can I obtain an NOS gasket set, por favor? I need one now I've demantled everything! Along with a gearbox sprocket (mine looks like it came from a pirate ship, HaHarr Matey) and other sundries.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165-AJS-350- ... rk:38:pf:0

Cheaper from club spares: http://www.jampot-spares.com/store/come ... duct=21584 , but neither of thes are NOS. I would personally go with (and have done) Spriddlers "O" ring fix.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Dave T wrote:Where can I obtain an NOS gasket set, por favor?
You can't, so don't faff about trying.
(I used to get mine from a very helpful one-legged chap called Bob (ex paratrooper. His father had a white-handled pocket knife) at Redhill Motors, the AMC dealership on the corner of Station Road and Royal George Road in Burgess Hill. Tel: 'Martlets 384'. You could park outside the hairdresser's next door if you o.k'd it with Mario the barber. Bob's wife had a Pedigree pram with a wheel missing so he fitted a 1962 Austin Cambridge steering wheel instead. It was all knocked down in 1978 to build a ring road).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

That's typical of the blinkered bureacracy that was prevalent in the seventies, demolishing an evidently cherished Pedigree pram to make way for a ring road! Bloody Vogons! :D
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Dave T wrote:Where can I obtain an NOS gasket set, por favor?
You can't, so don't faff about trying.
(I used to get mine from a very helpful one-legged chap called Bob (ex paratrooper. His father had a white-handled pocket knife) at Redhill Motors, the AMC dealership on the corner of Station Road and Royal George Road in Burgess Hill. Tel: 'Martlets 384'. You could park outside the hairdresser's next door if you o.k'd it with Mario the barber. Bob's wife had a Pedigree pram with a wheel missing so he fitted a 1962 Austin Cambridge steering wheel instead. It was all knocked down in 1978 to build a ring road).
Does he have an email address?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein