Thinking of buying a '50s 350

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
tomwal

Thinking of buying a '50s 350

Post by tomwal »

Hi,

I am very keen to own one of the bikes that I used to admire in my childhood.

I have ridden bikes for most of my life but have never owned an older machine. I do the simple
maintenace on my bikes - oil change, plugs etc. but I have neither the confidence nor the
spare time to do the sort of work that often seems to be required to keep an older bike running.

I was therefore considering buying a 1950s AJS 350 M16 model as this is just the sort of machine
I would like to own and it seems pretty durable and not too complicated. I would not be relying on it
for commuting but want something that I could do days out and short tours - up to 150 miles in a day.

I intend to try and find a bike that is a runner and mechanically sound. Would such a machine fulfill my
requirements or am I being too optimistic ?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Tom
Rob Harknett

Re: Thinking of buying a '50s 350

Post by Rob Harknett »

A 50's 350 should suit your needs. You will need to accept it will be an approx. 65 year old machine. So you will need to get used to the fact, its performance will not equal that of a later machine. They will be happy just running forever at about 50 MPH. If you want to thrash a bike through the gears and ride at speeds up to 70. They would not be so happy. They need little routine maintenance. Parts that may need to be replaced by fair wear and tear are available. The club carries a good stock of parts. You may even find a bike via the club bike sales stock which is constantly changing. There are various AJS model 16's which are only badge different to the Matchless G3 models. Joining the club may also be a good move. We have many sections, one that may be close to you. You could meet other members, get first hand advice, join others on runs etc. Plus other benefits of being a club member. Also something that money cannot buy, find many new friends.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

tomwal wrote: but want something that I could do days out and short tours - up to 150 miles in a day.

I intend to try and find a bike that is a runner and mechanically sound. Would such a machine fulfill my
requirements or am I being too optimistic ?
Hi Tom, short answer yes.

Slightly longer answer, some fetteling will be required on any old bike to get it as you want it, the more you work on it the more you understand and appreciate it.

350's will take whatever you throw at them but will be happier on B roads and unclassifed ones as this is where their true spirit can be enjoyed thumping along and taking in the scenery.

Personally I have covered over 200 miles a day fully loaded on all road types, including motorways, and events like the Westward Ho on many occasions so you requirements would be well covered however your average speed will be considerably lower (say 30mph to 40 mph) than on a larger modern bike.

Don't jump at the first bike you see but get to know them first to ensure you get a good one.
tomwal

Post by tomwal »

Thanks for your useful advice.

I was looking at a 2015 Jampot rally at Stow Maries on youtube.

I love the noise all those bikes make !

In the comments section someone said that it should be possible to get one for £1500-£1800.

The ones I see do seem rather expensive at £3500-£4000.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

tomwal wrote:Thanks for your useful advice.

In the comments section someone said that it should be possible to get one for £1500-£1800.

You'll not get a good one for £1800. Nowadays even an average 350 that needs some work will be £2500 min and a tidy well sorted one £3500 upwards
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

A 'mechanically sound runner' will probably cost you £2500 plus and they're not getting any cheaper - make sure you know what you're looking at, (or take someone along who does), as classic bikes are often subjected to previous owner's bodges which can prove to be expensive to rectify.

If you come across a bike that needs work, don't dismiss it, restoring a bike is probably the best way to gain an in depth knowledge of how it works and it's history.

Whichever way, good luck and welcome to the club.

Regards Mick
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

tomwal wrote:Thanks for your useful advice.

Just had a look, the price discussion is about a lightweight 350cc, was it a lightweight or a heavyweight that you are thinking of? (note: prices have moved on somewhat since 2015, as a bench mark a friend recently sold a sorted 1959 G3 for just under £3k recently)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Tom.
In case you are not familiar with this site I will repost the comments I made just now in another thread. Apologies for repeating others' advice.................
For research have a browse of all the techy manuals, editorial, promotional and historical articles here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/

That site and documentation is maintained privately and you may wish to make a donation if you make the very wise decision to go ahead with an AMC single.

A 350 or 500 single (I don't do twins ;) ) will do everything you need from a classic bike; extensive foreign touring, camping rallies, Sunday runs etc. as many of us can assure you, but as you are no doubt aware, unlike modern bikes if you want to arrive somewhere sooner set off earlier, and leave plenty of room for stopping.
You'll get any help you need on here. During my many years on this site I've read of (and helped) too many new owners who have been sadly disappointed with their purchase. Don't ever rely on what a dealer tells you e.g. "Reliable runner", "Used regularly", "Fully restored" etc. When sorted they are very reliable but always assume there'll be work/cost involved to get it right. The person who sold the bike to the dealer is unlikely to have told him that it's been nothing but trouble and he'll be glad to see the back of it.
Buy from a club member if you possibly can. This Club's bike sales by Kettering Classic Bikes may have something suitable.
Contact with members via a local section will be very worthwhile.
Good luck.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Additional thought if you are looking to buy from a club member you will be looking at the club adverts. As a guest member you will not see the adverts until 3 weeks after they have appeared in the club magazine. Because of the lead in time for the magazine this means they may have been on the website for paid up members to view for as long as 7 weeks before you can see them. Also your rights to ask questions on the site as a guest is limited I think to 90 days. If this is your first vintage bike, even if it really is a reliable runner, I would agree with Spriddler that it is still likely to have some things that will need sorting out and you may well want to access the thousands of combined years of knowledge on the forum once you have purchased your bike.
Adverts Ed
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

tomwal wrote:Hi, I am very keen to own one of the bikes that I used to admire in my childhood.
A propos of nothing really, but I know how you feel. I was given a rusty AMC single in 1960 when I was 15. I loved it (the agricultural engineering, the smell of oil and petrol, the array of levers and switches and its potential to become my magic carpet) even though I never managed to start it. After three weeks because it made the garden look untidy my mother gave it to the rag and bone man. I was mortified. I had other worn out twenty five quid two-strokes for going to work as an auto apprentice but due to 'life events' so forth it took me 35 years to get another one. Just do it! ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'