LED Dipping Bulb

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

LED Dipping Bulb

Post by MalcW »

Hi, has anyone used the 'New 6th Generation 12v H4 Dipping Bulb', as listed on http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php. I'm wondering whether it will fit in a 7" headlamp nacelle with speedo and speedo cable.

Thanks,

Malc
Rob Harknett

Re: LED Dipping Bulb

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have not had much luck with LED bulbs for my car. Put headlamp LED's in. Got to where I was going, took them out when I got there. It was like driving with side lights with them in. Then the side lights. I thought they were great. Had M o T and was told, took the LED bulbs side lights. They are dangerous as they tend to flicker. Other drivers may think you are indicating. Also LED's can fool you car, and your get a bulb blown warning. LED's are also appear bright to on coming traffic. Again this can panic some drivers if blinded by them. Again you are also at risk. LED's need to improve a lot, if only by not causing dazzle to on coming traffic.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Rob Harknett wrote:I have not had much luck with LED bulbs for my car. Put headlamp LED's in. Got to where I was going, took them out when I got there. It was like driving with side lights with them in. Then the side lights. I thought they were great. Had M o T and was told, took the LED bulbs side lights. They are dangerous as they tend to flicker. Other drivers may think you are indicating. Also LED's can fool you car, and your get a bulb blown warning. LED's are also appear bright to on coming traffic. Again this can panic some drivers if blinded by them. Again you are also at risk. LED's need to improve a lot, if only by not causing dazzle to on coming traffic.
Hi Rob. That's a good point regarding the beam pattern; I know earlier LED headlights had issues. I was tempted by this one (if it will fit) on the basis that the company selling them have a good reputation, and they say they have carried out many hours of night time testing to ensure they're up to the task. Happily, I don't think I need to worry about getting a Bulb Blown warning on my 650.
I don't tend to ride much after dark, but it would be nice to know that if it is necessary, my dynamo can keep up with things without having to ride home at high revs in 2nd gear!

Malc
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Let's wait for Mr Swift or Dudley as both can now see in the Dark. :lol:
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote:Let's wait for Mr Swift or Dudley as both can now see in the Dark. :lol:

You know where I stand on these, yes I'm a fan but then I was upgrading from a 40w dynamo that could barely handle a 30w tungsten lamp. A new reflector and double dipper was perfect for me to ride the 19 miles home from club night in the dark. Now got them in 4 of my bikes. :beer: :beer:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote:You know where I stand on these, yes I'm a fan but then I was upgrading from a 40w dynamo that could barely handle a 30w tungsten lamp. A new reflector and double dipper was perfect for me to ride the 19 miles home from club night in the dark. Now got them in 4 of my bikes. :beer: :beer:
Not before time either, Rob.
LED-lamp Final (640x475).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Sometimes it makes you wonder if some read the
Jampot.
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote:Sometimes it makes you wonder if some read the
Jampot.
Of course they do! :beer:
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

I really liked the idea of an LED headlamp, but after two failures (once at night), I've now reverted to a normal halogen.
In both cases, the little fan on the end of the LED failed, resulting in the lamp packing up shortly after.

Maybe some LED lamps are better than others, but I think I'll hold off until I can be confident the the fan will last more than a few months!
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS