LED Dipping Bulb

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ajscomboman

Re: LED Dipping Bulb

Post by ajscomboman »

clanger9 wrote:I really liked the idea of an LED headlamp, but after two failures (once at night), I've now reverted to a normal halogen.
In both cases, the little fan on the end of the LED failed, resulting in the lamp packing up shortly after.

Maybe some LED lamps are better than others, but I think I'll hold off until I can be confident the the fan will last more than a few months!
There is no fan on the dynamo conversions lamp, only a big alloy heat sink. Not had one fail yet, but that doesn't mean they don't. They are not cheap at £25 ea but I've been happy enough so far.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

That's great if they do passively cooled ones now. I will check them out...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Expat

Post by Expat »

ajscomboman wrote:
clanger9 wrote:I really liked the idea of an LED headlamp, but after two failures (once at night), I've now reverted to a normal halogen.
In both cases, the little fan on the end of the LED failed, resulting in the lamp packing up shortly after.

Maybe some LED lamps are better than others, but I think I'll hold off until I can be confident the the fan will last more than a few months!
There is no fan on the dynamo conversions lamp, only a big alloy heat sink. Not had one fail yet, but that doesn't mean they don't. They are not cheap at £25 ea but I've been happy enough so far.

Work for me too!
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

So, ajscomboman and Expat, do you use these bulbs in nacelles with a speedo, and it fits OK? Or are yours in headlamp shells with separate speedos?

Malc
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Fitted in both types on my bikes.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

ajscomboman wrote:Fitted in both types on my bikes.
Excellent. Better give the wallet another bashing then.

Malc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Some LED's may not be good if you still had to get an M o T, But the law should still apply about dipped head lamps. Perhaps a dazzled Policeman may pull you one night and tell you. I wasted money putting LED's in my car, as side lights failed the M o T. because they tended to flicker. I had already removed the main beam LED's as they were useless. So take care using LED, if they dazzle an on coming car, the driver may not see any hand signal you may make.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

They'll only dazzle oncoming cars if they aren't set properly. Mine are nice and bright but have a good cut-off on dip.
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MalcW wrote:So, ajscomboman and Expat, do you use these bulbs in nacelles with a speedo, and it fits OK? Or are yours in headlamp shells with separate speedos?
It does matter from where you buy them. A pal (speedo in the headlamp) bought a couple from eBay but they were too long behind the reflector and he couldn't refit the front of the headlamp since the headlamp shell needed to be deeper.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Some LED's may not be good if you still had to get an M o T, But the law should still apply about dipped head lamps. Perhaps a dazzled Policeman may pull you one night and tell you. I wasted money putting LED's in my car, as side lights failed the M o T. because they tended to flicker. I had already removed the main beam LED's as they were useless. So take care using LED, if they dazzle an on coming car, the driver may not see any hand signal you may make.
Rob I've had them checked out at the MOT station and they're fine and would pass the test. The only LED's that I've ever had questioned is the rear, ones I purchased cheap didn't have any number plate illumination despite being sold that they did! I got replacements from Dynamo regulator conversions and they passed with flying colours. Not cheap at £10 ea but have been in years now in a bike that used to eat conventional lamps due to vibes, so paid for themselves in the long run.