1953 AJS 350cc Wiring Harness

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Paul Bowker

1953 AJS 350cc Wiring Harness

Post by Paul Bowker »

Good Morning, I have just started work, at last, on renovating my 1953 AJS 350cc Model 16. The wiring loom requires replacing - this is something I haven't done previously and am understandably nervous.

Please could anyone provide a few tips abut how I order (and where from) to ensure I buy the correct one?

Appreciate your help at the beginning of this exciting journey.

Many thanks, Paul Bowker
ajscomboman

Re: 1953 AJS 350cc Wiring Harness

Post by ajscomboman »

Welcome Paul, first thing I'd suggest you do is join the club and start to have a look though the clubs spare scheme accessible from the main club website home page. You'll find wiring a harness for your bike there along with plenty of other bit's and pieces. Also by joining the club you'll get unlimited access to this forum where you can post as many requests as you like asking for assistance. On this forum you'll find many experienced owners willing to give their hard gained knowledge to new members as opposed to guests, who more often than not appear, get the info, and are never heard from again without even a thanks as they close the door.
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

I've used Feked before as a supplier of Lucas wiring harnesses and not had any problems. The heavyweight harness is fairly basic so will be a relatively easy job to fit. The kits I've bought before come with a handy diagram explaining what each wire does and with nicely done connections.

Feked list the harness at £37.95 plus VAT and postage code AMC1.

It's slow work but easy to make your own harness although in recent years I've stopped bothering and buy them complete as I've only got so long to live.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Paul has already joined the club but, as happens, his club membership and forum membership names don't match.

Paul, I suggest you contact the webmaster and he'll sort it for you, usually within a couple of days.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Janet wrote:Paul has already joined the club but, as happens, his club membership and forum membership names don't match.

Paul, I suggest you contact the webmaster and he'll sort it for you, usually within a couple of days.
It's weird why that keeps happening, still it's good to know he's already signed up.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Good advice above, I'd also say come along to your local section. The North West section meet at Charnock Richard Football Club on the first thursday of the month at about 8pm. It's easy to find, just off the A49 near Coppull. You'll get a warm welcome and there are several 1953 singles in the section, so plenty of advice too. I always make all my own wiring harness. It's easy to do and very satisfying.
See you this thursday?
Cheers Dave.
bob

Post by bob »

Vehicle wiring products
sell everything you need .
The wiring for the 53 bikes are so simple even an electrical idiot like me can do it .
" well I did my own and nothing's blown up yet "
I even laid in spare cables for future fittings ( indicators etc ) and just hid them untill I need them .
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you decide to build your own, it is very satisfying, I'd suggest you check out Auto Electrical Supplies too:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

Regards Mick
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

I always make my own harnesses too - quite a relaxing job in the workshop with some good music on. Maybe I am just addicted to the smell of flux.
If you make your own you can increase the cable size using thin wall cable to avoid volt drop (especially on 6v) and include extra earths to the tail light and headlamp.
Heat shrink tube is also available even in a braided finish to make it look good.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

AO Services (advertise in the Jampot) sell wiring kits with all the right wires. I used one a while ago, it was very good and saved me working out how much of each colour to order. Just one point; his standard kits use 1960s standard colours - I have a '54 bike and wanted to retain the original colour wires - not a problem, he supplied a kit with the right colours, so make sure to ask. He also sells the V Reg voltage regulator which I recommend, as the old Lucas electro-mechanical has given me problems in the past. Andy