WD G3l KICKSTART BROKEN

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
JSU1

WD G3l KICKSTART BROKEN

Post by JSU1 »

I have recently acquired a 1941 Matchless G3L, which has had a hard life, but after spending the day oiling, greasing and tightening up lots of loose bolts I managed to get her running quite smoothly, Unfortunately though, whilst trying to kick start her (when warm) I appear to have broken the kick start. I herd something break inside the cover and now the kick-start will move quite freely with out engaging or returning on its own.

My question is have I just broken the spring or may I have done more serious damage? If it is only the spring , is it something that a mere mortal could repair or should I seek a professional?

John
Expat

Re: WD G3l KICKSTART BROKEN

Post by Expat »

Just replaced the return spring on my ‘60 G3, different animal I know and could still turn engine over to start, just would not return. :cry:

Good luck with it, this the place to find out how.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's a fairly easy task to repair the kick start mechanism but you're going to have to remove the outer gearbox cover in order to diagnose the fault.

A broken return spring will prevent the kick start lever returning but it won't stop the lever engaging and spinning the engine, (a sheared kick start spindle would but I think this is unlikely).

You can reference the parts list for your bike here, (see page 7):

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... st_G3L.pdf

Note, this is the civil version as the WO manual has no illustrations.

If you are mechanically minded take the cover off and post some photos of what you find.

Regards Mick
JSU1

Post by JSU1 »

Thanks Guys,

I have just ordered a replacement spring, and hopefully I will investigate just what I have done and let you know,

cheers,

John