Damper rod differences

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
uktom77

Damper rod differences

Post by uktom77 »

Evenin' all,

So I have picked up a set of used damper rods in the hope of replacing the one of mine that annoyingly leaks. I know from previous experience that some dampers look different (fatter or shorter bottom ends / holes in different places) but do they pretty much all fit? I'm presuming as long as they are long enough, locate snugly in the slider and in the top nut everything is good????

Answers on a postcard ....
ajscomboman

Re: Damper rod differences

Post by ajscomboman »

Simple answer is no they don't all fit but yes they all do the same job. On the 1 1/8th fork the bottom of the stanchion is relieved internally to allow the damper some clearance on full depression. This damper has to be the type with the shorter fat end, trying to fit the later longer type will cause the forks to bottom out with little movement. The damper with the longer fatter end where the bolt fits goes in the later 1 1/4" forks where no relief is required. You can however use the shorter type in the bigger stanchions.
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Aha! and Booo! at the same time. Thanks for the explanation. I'll endeavour to take a photo later on so that people can confirm if I do indeed have the 1 1/4 later type.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Sorry that took so long to upload a photo. Work, it's a terrible thing - always getting in the way of life.

So, are these definitely 1 1/4 as expected? Funny little adapter on the top nut end ...