Fuel Tank Lining

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spookefoote1956

Fuel Tank Lining

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hello again. I'm now starting work on my good lady's bicycle (T20m in trials trim) and the fuel tank needs a good clean out and sealing. I'm going to give it the fish tank gravel treatment but would like some advice on lining it afterwards. Do any of you have experience of this and if so any recommendations for products?

Many thanks, Chris
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Mick D

Re: Fuel Tank Lining

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I don't - I've just put my G3 back into service after 30+ years and am in the process of restoring another machine from 1975, no corrosion problems, all I've done is rattle the tank with a length of chain inside to dislodge decades of surface corrosion / fuel residue - so far no problems.

I've heard too many horror stories of tank linings being affected by ethanol to want to chance it - just keep the tank fullish.

Regards Mick
bob121

Post by bob121 »

POR15 works well. Just be sure to follow the application guidelines
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

I spent ages trying to decide which liner to use and eventually used POR15 and it seems great. Easy to use and surprisingly one tin (not the smallest size) would do more than one tank. You just need them done all at the same time (production line) as you can't store the stuff once started. It also fills pin-holes. Ethanol will eat through metal so I bought another can and intend to do the remaining three bikes. Frosts have it at the moment for £30.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Even the smallest tin can be too much for one tank I have found.