1950 20M Cable route

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Jon500

1950 20M Cable route

Post by Jon500 »

Hi, can anyone help with a photo showing the correct cable routes for a 20M (1950), previous owner had mini ape bars on (I have changed to original style) and I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks in advance, Jon
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1950 20M Cable route

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The pic below can be found in the 1950 G9 (Model 20) Owners Manual. Many Owners Manual illustrations are generic across models but it may give you a clue.
Owners Manual here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
G9 1950 cable routring.JPG
The 'correct' routeing (for exhibiting) is not always the most ergonomic (for riding).
Easy lines and no sharp bends are preferable, especially WRT the clutch cable. It is an interesting exercise to route the clutch cable in the most ergonomic way (which may be impractical for riding) and then compare the (often heavier) action with it routed 'correctly'.
I only have my little and ring finger to operate the clutch (B52 gearbox) on my single and can operate it easily with it routed as below with a small bracket/clip attached to the rocker inspection cover acorn nut to keep it away from the hot cylinder head but close to the bike and out of harm's way... You will (should) have the CP 'box where the cable enters from the chaincase side so it's not practical to obtain such sympathetic route as on the B52.
Right side close.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Group Leader

Re: 1950 20M Cable route

Post by Group Leader »

That's how mine is routed on my 16MS. I tried doing it the "proper" way which looked good but it just didn't work well.

My cable is free to float around in close proximity to the cylinder and works nicely but there are some witness marks from being to close to the head on occasions. I like the bracket idea - looks like a trip to the workshop is on the cards!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: