Can anyone identify these Lightweight frame parts?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
clanger9

Can anyone identify these Lightweight frame parts?

Post by clanger9 »

Please can anyone tell me what Lightweight models these bottom frames belong to?
IMG_2911.jpg
IMG_2912.jpg
The top one looks like a standard G2 (I think), not sure what to make of the one with the rusty, downward-curving bar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Martin.S

Re: Can anyone identify these Lightweight frame parts?

Post by Martin.S »

The rusty one has the right holes by the look of it for the G5 rear peg spindle so can't be for a CS as I first thought - but from the picture it doesn't look like a home made modification.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Martin.S wrote:The rusty one has the right holes by the look of it for the G5 rear peg spindle so can't be for a CS as I first thought - but from the picture it doesn't look like a home made modification.
The rusty one is not a G5/Model 8 as that model does not have that extra boss welded to the arm that supports the rear silencer, also I think from memory that the rear hole for the footrest on those models is cylindrical and does not have a square boss as shown in both those pictures
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

I think the rusty bracket has been modified because its definitely lightweight. I dont have a G2 but i know the main frame to channel section is held together with a spindle which is different to a G2.

The G5 channel section should have a round hole 18mm or 3/4" and on the opposite side where the exhaust fits should have flats inside the hole. If your part has square holes its a G2 Channel

hope the above makes sense. There's plenty of pics on this forum as i think anyone who has rebuilt a lightweight has had difficulty working out how the frame and foot rests fit.

Cheers

Steve
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

How very strange. I think the rusty bracket may well have been modified. It's as if someone has bent the rear footrest tube downwards and welded an extra boss on. Also, they've drilled out the square hole to make it round. But why??
IMG_3152.jpg
IMG_3151.jpg
IMG_3150.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1993 Ducati 750SS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Because a 350 has a cylindrical rod for the rear footrest so maybe they have modified a 250 one to fit but that extra bracket should not be on there for a 350
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Thanks, that would make sense.
1993 Ducati 750SS