Rear suspension lower clevis

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Floydella

Rear suspension lower clevis

Post by Floydella »

Hi has anyone got some advice on the best way to remove the alloy lower clevis from my knackered units? I then intend to refit them to a pair of Hagon shocks I have bought. I am not worried about damage to the old units as they are only fit for the scrapheap! I want to fit the old alloy clevis mounts to the new shocks without damaging the nice shiny paintwork on the Hagons? Has anyone tackled this (sucessfully!!) and can pass on some advice? Cheers! Dave M
spookefoote1956

Re: Rear suspension lower clevis

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I think I took mine off once by just un-screwing them. Will they directly fit to Hagon shocks?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Usually they unscrew quite readily with a little application of heat from a hot air gun. I use a length of flat bar that is a nice snug fit in the slot. However if they are really tight and don't unscrew easily, place some bits of flat steel on the outside along with the bar in the middle and hold in place with a small G clamp, this stops the clevis from spreading and possibly cracking! Then you can apply a little more force with more heat.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Snug flat bar works for me too. You might need to make a pair of clamps to hold the bottom of the unit just above the clevis. Soak in plus gas overnight and a bit of heat before trying to use force.
Floydella

Post by Floydella »

Thanks guys for the sound advice on the removal of the alloy clevis. Any more hints on the best way to clamp the new units while screwing the clevis mounts on? when tightening are they just done up finger tight, as they will surely be held in place once all mountings are tightened up, is it wise to apply a thread locking liquid? Cheers Dave M
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

No need for them to be excessively tight and certainly no thread lock! I copper slip the threads hold the clevis in the vice wrapped in rag and screw in the damper until it's very hand tight, you could if you wish use a rubber strap wrench but I've not ever bothered or alternatively hold the damper carefully in a vice (obviously without the spring covers on) and use the bar method to wind the clevis on to the tension your happy with.