Speedo drive

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rob Harknett

Re: Speedo drive

Post by Rob Harknett »

Good job you asked or you'd have been in real trouble.
You must loosen the speedo drive nut first, while the wheel is still correctly fitted in the bike. On Assembly, you must and can, only tighten that nut after the wheel has been correctly fitted. Failure to do this will result in the drive turning, winding up the cable round it and probably have you off. ( undo the drive nut while the spindle nut is tight, tighten when the spindle nut is tight. It is not that easy to get the nut on before you refit the wheel, as the whole assembly will turn. Only the wheel nut being tight will allow to nut to be undone, as the whole assembly will turn. This you will soon discover. But do not forget to tighten it as instructed. You will need more that another speedo drive and cable if you don't.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

You have to undo the nut holding the speedo drive before you take the wheel out!
Dave.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

So you do! So, after a quick wheel replacement practise session the nut has been undone, the wheel removed again, and the speedo drive is off. I'm getting quicker at it with practise!

Malc
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

This article on AMC wheels and bearings covers stuff to do with getting at the speedo drive. I think you have a QD wheel like mine? But if not, this article explains the differences with the various types of rear wheel.

Hope it helps.

http://www.archives.jampot.dk/Technical ... el_hub.pdf
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not read that article, so not sure if it will prevent some one getting caught out like I once did. I got a puncture at a rally, on a bike I had not had long, or had the model before. I had no books with me. Did not need one really, I've had QD wheels out a bike more times I can recall in 60 years. There I was trying to get a wheel out that would not budge. Then Rob Swift came along, asked if I was having trouble. Which I was. He said, well you won't get that wheel out until you undo all the brake assembly and take it all out complete. The wheel is not QD on your 650 CSR. I was not aware of that. I looks like a QD wheel but does not come apart from the brake/sprocket assembly. Then I had trouble getting the tyre off with tool box size lever. Along came a Sussex member with a long lever, also a new tube, so I need not bother mending the puncture. Then Rob added a bit of mussel and got the tyre off for me. That was really the first time I had been on the receiving end of a break down.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Yes, mine is a QD wheel like yours, which helps. What it could also do with is a QD RH silencer to make life easier, and a hydraulic centre stand which lifts the bike a bike higher and tilts it to the left a bit. Or just use scrap bits of wood. That's an interesting and useful article, thank you. I've bookmarked it for future reference. Going back to your reference to Sunday runs from Exeter, which Weatherspoons do you meet at. I believe there are 3 of them?

Rob, I would be exactly the same, struggling (and probably cursing a bit). At least you were at a rally, where other expertise was on hand. These days, I suppose we can whip out the smartphone and look up the information. Not that a smartphone is much use as a tyre lever...

Malc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

MalcW wrote:Yes, mine is a QD wheel like yours, which helps. What it could also do with is a QD RH silencer to make life easier, and a hydraulic centre stand which lifts the bike a bike higher and tilts it to the left a bit. Or just use scrap bits of wood. That's an interesting and useful article, thank you. I've bookmarked it for future reference. Going back to your reference to Sunday runs from Exeter, which Weatherspoons do you meet at. I believe there are 3 of them?

Rob, I would be exactly the same, struggling (and probably cursing a bit). At least you were at a rally, where other expertise was on hand. These days, I suppose we can whip out the smartphone and look up the information. Not that a smartphone is much use as a tyre lever...

Malc
It was nice to be on the receiving end of good will for a change. Usually me that stops to help out, even cut short a run to go home and get a trailer to recover a friend broke down.
One funny breakdown....... Chap turns up on his bike at a rally. His trailer had broke down. So continued on his bike, leaving car and trailer in a lay by. Not wanting to leave his bike on the broken down trailer. How can he get that sorted out. As it happened, I had a 3 bike trailer, which would take his single bike trailer also the bike.
Since then I have always carried a pair of spare trailer hubs complete with all bearings and fittings in my car. Remember that should you ever be in need of those bits stuck at a weekend rally etc..
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

We meet at the Imperial house Exeter, EX4 4AJ. By 'we' I mean the Exeter British bike club. They are a friendly bunch and you can have a couple of try out rides without joining the club. The rides tend to be from one tea stop to another where we stand around and point at each others bikes. If you do decide to join the club, it's only £12 a year. While most bikes naturally tend to Triumphs and BSA's, there are a few AMC machines which often turn up including a very nice 650CSR.

We have a run leader (not me as I have no sense of direction) and 50 to 55 mph is usually top whack.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Sounds like that TV ad for finance, where there's a broken down bike on the back a small 3 wheel, pickup, on the back of a bigger pickup, on the back of...
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

MalcW wrote:Sounds like that TV ad for finance, where there's a broken down bike on the back a small 3 wheel, pickup, on the back of a bigger pickup, on the back of...
What about if you pick up some one stranded on a bike and the only spare seat is the bike seat on the trailer? Going off topic, better not reply to that.