AMC gearbox leak

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

AMC gearbox leak

Post by MalcW »

I have an oil leak from my AMC gearbox. It seems to be from the outer and/or inner casing joints, and investigation showed the bolts to be not completely tight. They are now, but if I still have a problem is it possible to remove the inner cover to reseal it without disturbing the gear cluster?

Cheers,

Malc
56G80S

Re: AMC gearbox leak

Post by 56G80S »

Hi

It's a long time since I did any work on tha AMC box and that's planned for this winter after putting the refurb Burman back in but on the IKBA principle believe I did as you suggest. Think that the real problem is making sure that things don't come out unintentionallythrough simple friction (or lack of friction!).

Sure a more knowledgeable post will shoot me down.

I also think that there are guidance articles on Christian's archives.

Johnny B
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi, I have recently rebuilt my AMC box and it is possible to remove the inner cover to renew the gasket without disturbing the cluster, although I did remove my cluster to renew bearings and bushes. The important bit to enable you to do this is to remove the nut on the end of the main-shaft that you will see under the clutch release housing, when putting the nut back it is torqued to 70lb-ft, if you don't take the nut of you will pull the main-shaft. I found a guide to Norton AMC gear box rebuild by Mick Hemmings on the internet with was very useful. Finally, one bit easy to miss is that remember to fit the roller in the gear selector arm before fitting the inner cover, it won't go in once the cover is on.
Hope the above helps. LynP
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Thank you both. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but if it is at least I know what to look out for.

Malc
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Mick Hemmings article here: http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... _1987).pdf

Can't get the link to copy in properly but cut 'n paste into your browser and will take you there (for some reason the .pdf bit isn't highlighting and being missed off the link)

Johnny B
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Thanks, that's extremely useful. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but if it is...