1953 matchless g80s dynamo sprocket

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Trevor68

1953 matchless g80s dynamo sprocket

Post by Trevor68 »

Hello everyone,
is there anyone who can tell me the correct sprocket for my new dynamo(E3NLO) which has a slot for a woodruff key,But the sprocket that i originally had on did not have a woodruff key or for that matter a slot for it on the armature,if i try to fit my original sprocket to my new dynamo(allegedly the correct one)then i am left with a gap at the rear of the sprocket so oil would be thrown out and dirt get in,should there be a felt or wool washer in place here?how many teeth should there be on the sprocket,mine has 17 but i have seen one on e-bay with 18 which incidently has a slot for a keyway.any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1953 matchless g80s dynamo sprocket

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There is no seal, felt or otherwise for the dynamo or g/box shafts.
The E3NLO is correct. See spares list.
Just a thought...........it is physically possible to mistakenly fit the mag drive sprocket (which doesn't have a keyway) on the dynamo shaft ....... :?
Refer to page 17 of 1953 Singles spares list here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf
Dynamo sprocket 1953 single.JPG

The dynamo sprocket is secured with one of these lock washers, nuts and circlips:
2018-01-24 Dynamo nut, washer, circlip 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Trevor68

Post by Trevor68 »

Cheers Spriddler,i like you believe that a mag sprocket has been put on the dynamo,this may also explain why my old dynamo did not charge (probably the armature just spinning inside the sprocket because nothing to hold it in place),will now purchase a new set-up.
much appreciated
Trevor
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This topic was recently discussed, so a search will find info stated perhaps more.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Excellent!
I'll remind you that it is absolutely crucial to ensure that the dynamo chain cannot clash with the primary chain or either of them will break and (unless you are very lucky) cause extensive damage to the primary inner/outer at the very least. The correct dynamo chain is endless to help avoid breakages.
There should be an alignment strip bolted on top of the dynamo but these seem to go missing. When I've aligned the dynamo laterally I scribe a mark on top of the dynamo in line with the inner edge of the engine plate to avoid having to disturb the outer chaincase in future when adjusting the dynamo chain.
From memory the mag sprocket has a wider boss than the dynamo sprocket (or perhaps vice versa) and in that case would leave a larger gap 'twixt it and the inner chaincase and bring the dynamo chain too close to the primary chain.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Trevor,
I've got one you can have. I'll bring it to the meeting on thursday. It's very different to the mag sprocket. It has 2 flats for a spanner to hold while you tighten the nut. Much deeper, with woodruff key slot. The nut recess is much deeper too.
Cheers Dave.
Trevor68

Post by Trevor68 »

Thanks Dave
will see you on thursday night,i have sent you a pm, not sure if you have received it,asking if your sprocket comes with the woodruff key as i don't have one but imagine i would be able to source one.
regards Trevor