bolts size

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
bjimc

bolts size

Post by bjimc »

Hi all I am a new member with a 1955 matchless g3 could some one please tell me the thread on the top mounting bolts for the rear shocks (jampots) that screw into the shouldered nuts that pass through the rear mudguard thanks for your help jim
Mick D

Re: bolts size

Post by Mick D »

Hi and Welcome

Most threads on your bike will be BSC, which is a BSF / BSW thread form with a 26 threads per inch pitch. To ascertain the bolt size just measure the bolt diameter - the bolt in question will be 3/8".

The major exception to this 'rule' are threads that screw into aluminium castings.

Loads of information here if you haven't found it yet:

http://archives.jampot.dk/

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Note these bolts are a bit special, should be chromed slightly doomed heads. Ordering by the parts list number they should turn up as correct.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Good point Rob - most of the bolts were originally domed headed - well worth sourcing the 'correct' replacements in my opinion.

Regards Mick
bjimc

Post by bjimc »

thanks all I thought they would be bsf I want some longer than standard thanks once again
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

Then maybe you need JSL item 018648RC, which is listed as BOLT JAMPOT TOP PIVOT FOR REAR CARRIER.
I think this is item 014521 in the 1955 spares list.

Albert
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.06.03_22h39m07s_001_.png
I have not come across that top pivot bolt before. I have 55 with a carrier fitted, which I am sure fits on the two bolts near the grab handles and mudguard. Not on a suspension bolt. Check each side of the carrier, see plate with the two holes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

That bolt 014521 replaces the standard bolt 018648 when fitting carrier 014874. It's a different carrier to the one Rob shows. Narrower and similar to the rigid version.
Cheers Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dave16mct wrote:That bolt 014521 replaces the standard bolt 018648 when fitting carrier 014874. It's a different carrier to the one Rob shows. Narrower and similar to the rigid version.
Cheers Dave.
Thanks Dave, I did not know there was another type of AMC carrier. If I saw one fitted unlike the two types pictured, I would have thought the carrier to be made by a manufacturer, to fit an AMC. As there is for panniers, fairings etc.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Re-animating this thread (!) as I am looking at reworking the struts that support my entirely non AMC carrier.

Currently, either side, I have two pieces of flat ridiculously strong and hard probaly stainless steel one fixed to the rear mounting point for the seat and the other to the front of the two bolts holding on the rear of the mudguard.I'm planning to fit an "original" interim seat in time for the Jampot (thanks Ian, I've finally got round to it).

I want to change the front mounting for the carrier to the top of the jampot but of course this will impact on the engagement with the sleeve nut. I was looking at the 018648 but a Search found this thread. The flat strip hasn't been measured yet. I now realise (after checking the parts list for 1956) that I failed to fit the plain washers because they weren't there when I bought the jampots and refubished them several yeras ago so I could replace the Girlings that had been forced on and of course didn't really fit.

Going a long way round to this but exactly how much longer are the 014521 bolts? I guess they'll be something like 3-3/8"? If they're longer - fine Or, how thick is the plate on the carrier that fits to the jampot top mounting?

Over time I have used lots of "not AMC" bolts and nuts and, as stated above, perhaps it's time I fitted the nice AMC ones.

I'm fitting a new rear tyre hopefully this week and thought it would be good to do all the "rear" work at once.

Cheers

Johnny B