Electrical query

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
GeoffR

Electrical query

Post by GeoffR »

This is going to be a dumb question, but electrics are not my strong point...

I have a 1960 G12, 6 volt alternator model, and was thinking about fitting a concealed switch so I can isolate it for security purposes (mine does not have an ignition key, just an on/off switch). If I fit some type of hidden switch on the lead from the battery (positive lead?) would this isolate it and prevent it from starting even if the ignition switch is on?

I told you it was a dumb question!

Or if there is another solution that doesn't involve too much electrical skill I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
Geoff
SPRIDDLER

Re: Electrical query

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As far as I recall the '60 model had magneto ignition which is not in any way connected to the bike's battery or electrical system. The magneto is a self contained spark generator, so isolating the battery will only stop the lights and horn working (limiting the chance of it being ridden away at night ;) ).

If your aim is to prevent the engine from running you need to disable the magneto.
Or you could disconnect the plug leads (you'll probably need to fit slightly longer plug leads) and tuck them up under the tank and replace them by pulling down a pair of dummy leads and plug caps from under the tank ;) (Remembering to swap them back before trying to start the engine).

Few bikes are ridden away. Most are simply lifted into a 'Motorcycle Recovery Services' van and gone within seconds. Your best bet is to chain it to a solid post but even then a 30 quid Aldi battery angle grinder will have the security chain off in no time.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The G12 had coil ignition and an alternator Sprids, The G12 Deluxe had Magneto and dynamo. So on your G12 I think you are correct to fit the switch on the live from the battery (I'd also fit a fuse if you haven't already.)
Cheers Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ah, I was recalling a pal's c1960 twin which has an alternator and a mag and my thoughts were steered by Geoff's belief that he was asking a dumb question. Which as it turned out, he wasn't. (He just got my dumb reply). And he did say electrics weren't his strong point ;).

Clearly, twins aren't mine :oops:
Diggin_a_hole 2.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I would have said it would be best to isolate the coil unless the charging system can also be isolated as the bike could still start if it is only the battery that is isolated.

If you are unsure with wiring it would be simple to put an on off switch (rocker or key) on the feed to the coil, you may need to run a couple of wires to where you place the switch and the point you connect in to the circuit

I have an internet ignition switch on my coil ignition bike mounted in the tool box/oil tank panel that isolates everything or just the coil if I need the lights on to put the bike away or put a tent up at night.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Duncan wrote: I have an internet ignition switch on my coil ignition bike mounted in the tool box/oil tank panel that isolates everything or just the coil if I need the lights on to put the bike away or put a tent up at night.
....so you can switch off your 'bike with your smartphone? 8-)

Rob C
GeoffR

Post by GeoffR »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm planning to go to a few local meets this summer so perhaps I'll pick a few brains. I also have a friend who was an auto electrician for 30 years so I may trade a few beers for some assistance ;)
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

robcurrie wrote:
Duncan wrote: I have an internet ignition switch on my coil ignition bike mounted in the tool box/oil tank panel that isolates everything or just the coil if I need the lights on to put the bike away or put a tent up at night.
....so you can switch off your 'bike with your smartphone? 8-)

Rob C
I've tried that but it keeps getting stuck in the lock :o
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

I used to have a padlock with a chain fed through the back wheel and round the frame. Guess who forgot and tried to ride away without unlocking. Didn't do the wheel or my temper a lot of good. Now I make sure to wrap the chain round the wheel and the seat so that at least I would realize that the chain is still there when I sit down. Sad that we need to go to these lengths to protect our toys. When I started motorcycling the only protection for my Matchless was an old sack on the seat to keep the rain off. Then! the only protection for the rider was an old Macintosh and a flat 'at.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

pkr87 wrote:I used to have a padlock with a chain fed through the back wheel and round the frame. Guess who forgot and tried to ride away without unlocking.
Happened after a lunch stop in France exactly a year ago to Bob Piper with Jill on the pillion. Broke a spoke and virtually destroyed the speedo drive unit. Had to strip out the rear wheel, make up a spacer in lieu of the speedo drive and recut the locknut thread with a fine file. Took us about 2 hours. After an hour and hearing the kerfuffle, a chap having a family BBQ in an adjacent garden brought out a pair of Stillsons, big hammer, cheese baguettes, some soap, paper towels and a bucket of hot water.
Gandspette. Two hours to go. 26 May 2017 (640x425).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.