Electrical query

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Re: Electrical query

Post by MalcW »

That brings back memories. I had a rear wheel bearing collapse in the rear wheel of a Norton Commando many years ago, over in France, and the speedo drive was suddenly asked to carry the weight of the bike 2 up. Not for long though...

Amazingly, once we found the bit with the bearing number on, an agricultural spares and repair workshop in the village had an equivalent bearing that we were able to fit at the roadside.

Back to locks and chains: I've now bought a hefty 1.5m chain and lock for security out and about, but it's so hefty it's a pain to transport. What does everyone else do?

Malc
McBob

Post by McBob »

This may discourage the opportunist and is fairly easy to cart about

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf page 90

018691 LOCKING BAR FOR STEERING HEAD
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I think there's been a thread about the locking bar before.

I put the chain round the front wheel; it's only an ordinary gate chain with a large insurance rated padlock - what's the point of that when the chain is easy! Visibility didn't stop me rolling it off the centre stand and very, very slightly bending a spoke although the wheel integrity not affected.

Back in time, woth a box sidecar on, all I used to do was pop the plug cap off. Used to be a very particular starting routine then and not easy to lift into a van. I remember riding it onto Dad's flat back up two heavy duty scaffold boards; very dicey not much room for error.

Think I'll look up that locking bar thread.

Johnny B
sprungtwin

Post by sprungtwin »

Hello, regarding the best cable to isolate the bikes battery , what I eventually ended up with on my 1961 model 20 : using the oil anti wet sumping tap supplied by Andrew Dove I tried several ideas to isolate the main battery feed but if the motor was running and the alternator was producing power, switching off the oil isolating switch allowed the engine to carry on running, H'MM, not good ! Then it dawned , why not break the earthing cable so when oil isolation tap is off, everything stops,I realise that this is not in reply to question asked,but the isolator switch could easily be replaced by a good quality toggle switch,hidden somewhere and give compete isolation.worth a try, it worked for me,