6V Battery

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
kerry ireland.

6V Battery

Post by kerry ireland. »

Can anyone help with information on where to find a 6v original looking battery for 1955 350cc Matchless.

Adrian Pancaldi

6V Battery

Post by Adrian Pancaldi »

I'm not sure if its what your after Kerry,but I believe a dummy battery,looking the same as the original, can be obtained in which you fit a modern battery, and not spoil the look.I'm not too sure if i'm correct as i've never needed one.Even so i don't think you'd get laughed at if you made some enquiries.I'd start with the spares scheme.
silverarrow

6V Battery

Post by silverarrow »

There are a number of replica battery boxes on the market ranging from about £10 upwards. I think the spares scheme stock them or can be bought from any dealer selling batteries or at any auto jumble. a jap battery can then be fitted inside the dummy box.

Quite the best box I have seen is one made of rubber similar to the original material in Supreme Motorcycles, Earls Shilton, Leics. Tel 01455 841133.

Hope this helps.

Les Smith
Keep smiling
Michael Starr.

6V Battery

Post by Michael Starr. »

I've only just read your request for info on batteries kerry, as I've been on holiday. I have a modern gel battery inside a replica box on my 1954 Matchless, but I wanted something more original looking for my veteran so I bought an Indian Exide battery from Dragon Motorcycle Services. They're pricey at £40, but look the part. The telephone number is 01782 722840.
Kieran Enright.

6V Battery

Post by Kieran Enright. »

Dear Kerry,

in the latest issue of the Club Spares Catalogue, they offer the following:-

900641 Black Rubber Battery Box (takes 6N6-3B 6V or YB3L-A 12V battery) @ £15.28.

The spares scheme also sell the batteries to suit, but not by post (callers only), though if you cannot get to the shop, a local motorbike shop should be able to get the appropriate battery for you.

The spares scheme price for the batteries are:-

6N6-3B @ £10.68 YB3L-A @ £11.75

Best regards,

Kes Enright
Charles.
Deceased

6V Battery

Post by Charles. »

What I did was to find a similar sized and looking Japanese battery and paint it black using Holts car upholstery paint. It looks OK and cost about £10 and the paint was about £4. The first one I did lasted about 6 yrs.