Centre stand spring fitting

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
blackadder1952

Re: Centre stand spring fitting

Post by blackadder1952 »

This worked for me.
1. Axle stands under footrests. 2. Hook short end of spring into hole. 3. Put long bar/screwdriver between frame and chain case to stop long end of spring disappearing up into the gap. 4. Push spring body into place and insert stud. 5. The long end of the spring should now be on the wrong side of the stand centre bar, so use another lever/big screwdriver to hook it over the centre bar. Make sure the first bar/screwdriver is still in place because if the long end slips it disappears up into the nether regions and you have to start again. 6. Use stand and thank Rob.

John
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Thanks chaps, I finally logged onto the tec. Threads using an old password! I failed again using brute strength and resorted to the 5 jubilee clip method -- and, hold your breath! It works!! Just got to get them off now! :beer:
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:That's strange Rob H. If your link is referring us to the article "fitting the stand -tips" we get to the menu but when I click on the article - posted by you - it's empty.

Just gone back you have to download the article.
Clive I just got as far as the list of articles referring to centre. So I thought the link would have taken you to that list. You do then need to select the article of interest to read / download
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

I seem to remember I picked up a tip from someone on the forum about using a ring spanner as an extended lever when I did mine about a year ago.

I have to say, it worked a treat at the time and no body parts seemed to be in imminent danger but I can't remember exactly what the procedure was!

If I can find it again (it must be on here!) I'll post the link as another alternative.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Mine went in really easy a couple of weeks back, located short end of spring into engine plate and got hold of the large end with gas pliers and persuaded it to pop into place. It helped, probably a lot, that the rear wheel was not fitted and I did it from under the rear mudguard.