Centre stand spring fitting

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
alanjennings

Centre stand spring fitting

Post by alanjennings »

Just tried the new centre stand, did a dummy run, a bit of " fettling" required but it works beautifully! No effort at all required.Now painted and ready to fit.l have tried to look up how to fit it but the technical help site won't let me in!! Will not accept my normal password! The spring has defeated me! Any suggestions chaps?
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Groily

Re: Centre stand spring fitting

Post by Groily »

I shall also read the learned replies with interest, as I've got one 'standing by' too.
Rob says they're quite easy to do, and I'm sure they are, but I've only ever done it with the frame bare - and not recently. The 'knack' re the Spring will certainly be appreciated - if it could be revealed very kindly by Those Who Know.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://www.jampot.com/article_search.as ... rch&num=10
See if this link will work. You will of cause need to be logged in. It will take you to the list of stand tips. Fitting spring etc.
shifter

Post by shifter »

I fitted my new stand the other day all in all quite an easy job to do, I offered the stand up with the spring around the centre spacer and other end hooked around the stand crossbar manipulating the hook on the other end of the spring through the hole in the frame then pushing/jiggling the stand into position to enter the pin. Once the pin was entered used a rubber mallet to knock the pin through whilst jiggling the stand i hope this helps
shifter
All this was done with the bike on its side stand
Last edited by shifter on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Groily wrote:I shall also read the learned replies with interest, as I've got one 'standing by' too.
Rob says they're quite easy to do, and I'm sure they are, but I've only ever done it with the frame bare - and not recently. The 'knack' re the Spring will certainly be appreciated - if it could be revealed very kindly by Those Who Know.
They are easy but lets face it I've had loads of practice testing the various batches of stands to ensure they fit. Having builders hands also helps. :D
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Hi Rob! I still can't get " logged in" but will try what William suggested tomorrow!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

They must have been designed by someone with an evil sense of humour ;)
I fitted both my new stands during the week. The first one on the 31DL was a total **** and took about 45 minutes. The second on the G9 almost fell into place. I found this amongst the tech articles
http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=191
It worked a treat :)
The other link posted is working ok for me though I prefer the method I used with just 2 jub clips

Steve
Groily

Post by Groily »

Thanks for links and comments to both Robs, and to Shifter for the 'whack the pin through' option. One way or another, it will be done but strong springs are nobody's favourite! Dangerous darn things, especially when working at an uncomfortable angle, with bike strapped on ramp, or on sidestand. Will find out what works best for me when I get there . . .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

alanjennings wrote:Hi Rob! I still can't get " logged in" but will try what William suggested tomorrow!
That's odd Alan. You log in on the forum OK. I thought you have same user name and password for both. (I have )
clive

Post by clive »

That's strange Rob H. If your link is referring us to the article "fitting the stand -tips" we get to the menu but when I click on the article - posted by you - it's empty.

Just gone back you have to download the article.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix