Welding repair to primary chain case

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
GeoffR

Welding repair to primary chain case

Post by GeoffR »

Whilst removing my primary chain case yesterday I realised that an area of damage had been poorly repaired and was leaking a little bit of oil. The casing looks like it has taken a bump at some time (probably the foot peg or brake pedal got smashed into it during an accident). I think someone has used a 'liquid metal' type of product on it and done a poor job.

So my question is, can these be repaired be welding? If so, does anyone have a trustworthy and proven person they can recommend?

Thanks
Geoff
raffles

Re: Welding repair to primary chain case

Post by raffles »

Yes both the steel and alloy cases can be welded you need state which type to get a recommendation
Tony
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Looking at your previous posts it seems you have a 1960 G12.
Tip: To get more appropriate replies and save contributors having to guess/hunt for the info in order to help you put your bike's details in your Profile :beer:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GeoffR

Post by GeoffR »

raffles wrote:Yes both the steel and alloy cases can be welded you need state which type to get a recommendation
Tony
Sorry, never thought of that. Aluminium G12 chain case.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Ref - Aluminium G12 chain case.

I do know that John Bolton has a welding / fabrication located just across the yard from his workshop. I have seen some excellent ally primary case repair work and steel fabrication done by this chap. Give John a call if you are stuck, I'm sure he can help you out.

John Bolton - Workshop 14.
Tel 07802 - 740672
GeoffR

Post by GeoffR »

Thank you for the contact details. I may contact him but I have a couple of local options that I'm going to speak to first - they're actually poeple that my wife deals with via her work....perhaps I should listen to her more often :)