G3ls speedo gearbox

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
matchbart

G3ls speedo gearbox

Post by matchbart »

I had to repair a puncture on the bike the other day, after putting the wheel back in I noticed the speedo gearbox drive was rotating when everything was tightened up, it wasn`t loose before, if i tighten the nut to the side of the speedo it secures it but the wheel becomes very hard to turn, what have i done wrong do you think ?
rudelan_LAPSED

Re: G3ls speedo gearbox

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Hello, see this link..

http://www.2zars.com/g11rearhubseq.html

Ruddy
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

Thanks Ruddy, seen that, but I didn`t remove the speedo gearbox, it stayed on the wheel, maybe i am tightening the outer nuts too much or in the wrong sequence, should it be :

fit wheel
adjust chain
tighten outer nuts
tighten speedo gearbox locking nut
fit cable
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Be warned, IKBA, but have done this job more than twice by the side of the road. Worst time was about 2 hours out of Dieppe just after sunrise. This was on the QD rear wheel on a 1956 G80S.

I don't recall touching the large nut up against the speedo g'box hub, the only time I've done that is when removing it to clean out bearings and re-pack them. It is important to slack it off in situ before attempting this operation. It is important to ensure that the stepped spacer is in place and the right way round so that the narrow part is towards the centre line of the motorcycle.

Others may point out that it's different for your machine or I have it wrong?

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It's more than likely that you haven't engaged the slots of the rear wheel speedo drive into the speedo drive correctly. It's easily done and gives the exact same symptoms you've described. I'd be inclined to pull it all apart and start from scratch.
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

ajscomboman wrote:It's more than likely that you haven't engaged the slots of the rear wheel speedo drive into the speedo drive correctly. It's easily done and gives the exact same symptoms you've described. I'd be inclined to pull it all apart and start from scratch.
but all i did was remove the wheel, i didn`t touch the speedo drive .. the tyre was changed with all axle fittings in situ. i will have another look, presumably i need to turn the drive on the axle until it locates ?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It would help if your Profile had details of your bike, e.g. the year. ;)

Silly point, but is the brake binding?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

it`s a 1954 g3ls, brake is not connected as yet.. will try again to update profile, thanks
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Ajscomboman is probably correct, the drive tangs were not correctly engaged originally, (you were lucky the speedo drive didn't rotate and break the cable), if it were correctly assembled in the first instance, (before you removed the wheel), you should not have been able to tighten the retaining nut any further and certainly not cause the wheel to bind.

For future peace of mind I'd suggest you check the complete assembly.

Regards Mick
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

OK, it appears to be ok now, i released the retaining nut until the speedo drive was slack then turned it until it appeared to be located better, tightened everything up and it stays in position when wheel rotated, I will do as suggested and take the assembly of and inspect/replace as needed, thanks everyone,