G12 Centre Trim on Petrol Tank

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
TonyMus1

G12 Centre Trim on Petrol Tank

Post by TonyMus1 »

I recently bought a 1960 G12 CSR that has been refurbished but the chrome trim on the centre of the Tank was missing.

I have now bought myself a re-manufactured one from e bay but having fitted it, it is a sloppy fit.

Having tried tapping the hooked ends with a hammer and forcing the rear tab below the rubber mount then tightening the bolts, it is still sloppy.

At the moment, the front of the seat sort of holds it in position.

The question is, should it be fixed in place with adhesive putty, or should the sides of the trim be slightly squashed together to grip the centre rib or is there a trick to get the trim secure ?
Mick D

Re: G12 Centre Trim on Petrol Tank

Post by Mick D »

Hi

My 60 G3 trim was hooked over a strap at the front and the rear mount:
Tank Bead Front.png
Tank Bead Rear.png
I copied the original fit when installing the replacement bead - I had to extend one of the tabs as it was shorter than the original, I soldered on a strip of copper cut from a piece of plumbing pipe but other than that I've not used any adhesive and the bead is snug along it's length.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TonyMus1

Post by TonyMus1 »

Thanks for the reply Mick.

I guess I will have to take the tank off again and see if the Straps are there.

Tony.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Tony

Micks petrol tank picture is a one year only for singles so yours should have a different rear arrangement/fixing, I believe that the strips are available in stainless or chrome on copper?, the stainless ones tend not to want to bend to the tank shape and will spring back a bit.
owen

Post by owen »

Hello Tony, I had in the past a 1960/61 AJS Md31 deluxe with the centre strip, as i recall the one end hooking at the front of the tank, and at the other end sort of clipped in and there was a small threaded element and nut and washer to nip or tension it up.It was nether a good fit but ok if that made sense,But it must of worked because the tank was off and on like a fiddlers elbow because of stress cracks appearing every now and again, I became quite good at getting it rebrazed,The friend that did it made sure the tank was empty,then put the filler cap hole over a car exhaust and it seemed to kill of the fumes that linger. Hope this helps you and good luck.

Cheers Owen