bikes history

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rob Harknett

Re: bikes history

Post by Rob Harknett »

shifter wrote:That's my daughter's old 1966 G2 csr in the above photograph that she has just sold
Ah, I said 65, C reg was Aug 65 to July 66. Did not think C reg could be 65 or 66. I believe both years the CSR's were about the same.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

The change from calendar year registrations to mid-year (Aug - July) started with "F" registrations in 1967.
"E" was short-lived Jan - July '67.
"C" therefore was 1965 calendar year
shifter

Post by shifter »

Stuoyb wrote:The change from calendar year registrations to mid-year (Aug - July) started with "F" registrations in 1967.
Last edited by shifter on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?
Janet

Post by Janet »

Stuoyb wrote:The change from calendar year registrations to mid-year (Aug - July) started with "F" registrations in 1967.
My first car was a 1967 Renault 4 which just scraped in as an E reg so the change over year is one fact that I don't have to look up. :D
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote: Neville, does that mean I have to go out in the wind & rain to take a picture?
Nah you're excused, Rob. It's an 'orribly grim wet, cold and grey day in Sussex too.
Rob Harknett wrote:I put the Ace bars on the CSR's so I can get my head down.
Nowadays I put my slippers on and do that in my dreams.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I was not aware the early letter suffix did not start Aug. 1st. I am sure some areas did use up some old number series, before starting on the letter suffix numbers. When working I had to take my holidays first 2 weeks in Aug. So always had to order a new car, to be collected after my holidays. Not wanting to have to run in a new car during my holiday abroad. I recall one year the sales saying, that cars got about 5,000 more miles on since I brought 2 weeks age. Where you been to do 5,000 miles. I went all through Europe up to Norway.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

“A” was introduced during 1963 when some areas (predominantly Greater London) started to run out of existing nos.
This policy continued through 1964 with “B” but by Jan 1, 1965 all registrations had to be suffixed “C”.
Any unissued old style nos. were later used for age-related registrations.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

GOLDSTAR wrote:you can download a form from the DVLA website, cannot recall the number but I'm sure someone on here will tell you, send it to 'em with £5 and they will send you what history they have, you will have to tell them what you want it for but I just put 'historic investigation', summat like that. kind regards
I don't think that they provide this service now. The provision seems to have been removed from the form . Probably data protection will be cited
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

You learn something every day! I would have bet my house on 'D' being the short year

https://www.platehunter.com/car-registration-years-