Bolt Identification

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Ian Saker

Bolt Identification

Post by Ian Saker »

Hello

I will be grateful if any of you experts can help me identify the bolt in picture 1inch long, 1/4 dia, 26tpi.
Nearing the total rebuild completion of a 1966 G80 tourer and can not work out where this taper bolt might fit.
It may well be frame/cycle parts as it came from a box of such parts but cannot be sure as things can easily get mixed up.
Of course it may just be a rouge item not belonging anywhere.

Have posted in this section as both singles, twins and hybrids used the twin downtube frame.

Thanks in advance
Ian

/Users/iansaker/Desktop/IMG_0179.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: Bolt Identification

Post by clive »

Sorry I cannot help but you are lucky if you only have one unidentified bolt amongst a box, my G11CS came with handfuls of totally irrelevant stuff. Just a thought, it looks as though it is to control flow, possibly oil to the inlet valve or air/fuel mix for the tickover
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It might be a home-made tool for locking the fork damper rod assembly when needing to loosen the damper bolt (the bolt inside the hollow at the bottom end of the fork slider and the Fork Slider Cap) which secures the lower end of the damper rod. After removing the oil drain plug (000485) the bolt is screwed in and its pointy end jams into the damper rod and prevents it from turning whilst the damper bolt is loosened or tightened.
I use the pointed chromed knurled screw which secures the tool box lid and which is the same dia and thread (1/4" x 26tpi) as the drain plug and your pointy bolt.
Fork oil drain plug arrowed.jpg

Here's the drain screw listing in the Spares List - it's 1/4" x 26tpi
Fork drain screw quarter inch dia x 26tpi.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This seems to be quite small 1" about 1/4 dia. could have been a bodge to replace something Clive mentioned, which were usually slotted/knurled heads for finger screw driver adjustment. Or perhaps a tool as Neville suggests. Perhaps even made to clean up a nut thread. It is not a common part, that's if it ever was a part. AS far as I know, there was not a standard 1" x 1/4 26 TPI bolt, bit under and over, but no 1" I would not worry too much about it if it looks home made. Perhaps you will later discover such a 1/4" 26 TPI fitting missing, this may have been used for.