Tank Sealing Reccomendations

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy51

Tank Sealing Reccomendations

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, a friend has recently bought a US-spec BSA Lightning with all chrome tank. He asked me to look at the carbs, and they were full of rust from the tank. He is reluctant to remove corrosion and seal the inside of the tank himself, and is looking for someone who can do it for him. Can anyone recommend a firm who does this sort of work? When I have done this recently, I had the bottom of the tank cut our, the insude blasted, tank put together again and then I sealed it and had it repaiunted. However, this sort of treatment would damage the chrome finish. He does have a cement mixer so can, if no firms do ths work, fill it full of gravel and tumble it, then use cleaning/rust neutralising fluid (any recommendations?), then seal, but, as I said, he would prefer a firm who can give some sort of guarantee. Thanking you, Andy
SPRIDDLER

Re: Tank Sealing Reccomendations

Post by SPRIDDLER »

These folk will supply the stuff or do the whole job for around £150 (no VAT). I've not used them to do the whole job, just supply the stuff.
Have a read of their very informative website:

http://www.tankcareproducts.co.uk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Would have thought the cement mixer approach would wreck the chrome much more successfully than a bit of heat! Unless it was possible to lock the tank to the side and be certain it was not going to break free.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Or try it like this
Tank cleaner.JPG
I used a couple of lengths of studding with hooked ends through the mixer blades and filled the tank up with a load of old nuts and bolts.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Put it a sleeping bag and stuff an old duvet around it (min 10.tog ;) )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

JimFitz wrote:Or try it like this
Tank cleaner.JPG
I used a couple of lengths of studding with hooked ends through the mixer blades and filled the tank up with a load of old nuts and bolts.

Jim
Hi Jim

Did it work well? And how long did it take for the neighbours to complain about the noise? Cheers. Bruce.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi Bruce

It worked reasonbly well but I think it also needs chemically cleaning as well to get into all the corners and seams. I read somewhere that you can get concentrated vinegar from the local chippy - I have seen many recommendations what to use elsewhere on the forum. If it has already been treated with sealer then it will need a solvent to get it out.

The noise was not a problem as the neighbours are a fair distance away - also allows me to play ZZ Top at maximum volume in the workshop without issue 8-)

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Having heard and seen several horror stories regarding tank lining I'm of the opinion it's better to remove the loose material, neutralise the corrosion and then keep fuel in the tank. If the bike is going to be laid up for an extended period, drain and vent the tank.

Regards Mick
bitza

Post by bitza »

I did my G 9 tank with the concentrated vinegar from the chippy it's 16 to 1 strength, so powerful stuff ok for rust and soaking seized
Nuts and bolts. But beware it finds any pin holes or thin spots in the tank, you need to drain it every 2 to 3 days and strain the crud out
Of the vinegar and repeat the process, I had to have my tank repaired after using this method, so I would be wary as regards a tank with a nice chrome finish.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Perhaps I'm daft, but isn't it better to find the pin holes and weak areas and fix them rather than they find you out on a long run?

Having said that the last time I had a good chrome tank was on the 14 CSR 1966 wish I wish I still had; it went 30 odd years ago.

Johnny B