m16 replacement carby

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
haddy

m16 replacement carby

Post by haddy »

Hello
Have just purchased my first AJS 16m 1951 rigid. It hasnt arrived yet but the owner says its having starting /carby problems and recommends i buy a new replacement carby. Could anyone recommend a good Amal replacement carby.

Haddy
Andy51

Re: m16 replacement carby

Post by Andy51 »

Amal still make most carby models, so you should be able to get whatever the manual/parts book says. Andy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Wait until you get the bike. First make sure all the settings are correct. Start at timing , ignition timing, points, gap. lead & connection plug. Does not matter what carb you have unless that is all correct. Also you have not spent, perhaps wasted any money.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Haddy.

Originally it would have had an AMAL 'Pre Monobloc' at around £375.
PRE MONO (481x640).jpg
Many/most have been replaced with the AMAL 'Monobloc' at around £150. The Monobloc was the standard carb fitted from '55 right up until the end of AMC in the late 60's.

Available from this club's Spares Scheme. See: http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... oducts.asp
Monobloc (511x640).jpg
As said above, first give yours a good clean - especially the tiny drillings in the body because if it has been standing unused today's fuel with ethanol will have gummed up the carb, then tune it following this guide:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/mo ... to-tune-up

And if you haven't done so already, join the Club and the Spares Scheme and get 10% off the cost of parts. See here: http://www.jampot.com/spares.asp

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi haddy,
Yes, join the Club!
Also refer to archives.jampot.dk for the relevant manuals for your bike. Study and inwardly digest, especially the parts manuals as these will help you work out if you've got any 'odd bits' on the bike. It's surprising what gets changed over 65 years!
Most of all enjoy your AJ and post a few pics as we are all nosey buggers, plus it's a very quick way of finding out what odd bits you've got...but most of us don't care much as long as it's another AMC bike being enjoyed.
:beer:
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
haddy

Post by haddy »

Than for the info chaps this is my first AJS.
iam a BSA man,bantam,c11, b40(what a bomb) and an M20.
I will go over it thoroughly first. But i would still like to know if anyone is running an Amal concentric.

Haddy
haddy

Post by haddy »

tried to post a photo but under options there is no upload attachment.
Haddy
clive

Post by clive »

We have had this before, I think as a guest member you are only able to place a picture if it its hosted elsewhere with a URL reference to it, not able to upload a picture directly on the site.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi haddy,
I'm running a concentric on my 1959 16ms, and with a little tuning it runs very well. It's easier to get any carb to run badly, but there is more info on what is the best set up for the original fit, monobloc.
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I run a concentric on my '54 18S - got it new from a fellow member at a good price who no longer needed it. It goes well and, most importantly, gives me a much better tickover than the worn out original carb. Main jet monobloc size + 20%, others the same as for monobloc. Andy