Breaking the Seal on Barrels

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Duncan

Re: Breaking the Seal on Barrels

Post by Duncan »

Silly question and I can already guess the answer but it is hard to see from the picture, it looks like a number of the nuts are still in place are they all undone?
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Come no Duncan it cant be that simple can it. :o
Roy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Duncan

If only it were that simple - all the nuts are loose, (how do I know? - I must have checked 20 or more times in the hope one wasn't :cry: )

Have now added another beam and still no joy.

Come Monday I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be on the phone to Phil at L. P. Williams

Regards Mick
Janet

Post by Janet »

So you didn't fancy trying the way I'd found that others do it, apparently successfully?
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Mick D wrote:Thanks Duncan

If only it were that simple - all the nuts are loose, (how do I know? - I must have checked 20 or more times in the hope one wasn't :cry: )

Have now added another beam and still no joy.

Come Monday I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be on the phone to Phil at L. P. Williams

Regards Mick
In you look at your photo only one looks loose. Is it not that you have to undo them as it come off just like the G15 engine to give you the space to remove the base nut.?
Roy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Janet

I estimate I have at least four times the force that the fins could take applied - the barrels are in perfect condition and I'm keen to keep them that way.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regards Mick
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Roy

The nuts will just come off if the studs don't come up - all of them have a clearance at the moment - I'd rather leave them in situ until the barrels move ;) .

But the barrels just don't want to move.

Regards Mick
bitza

Post by bitza »

Try parrafin / diesel mix down bores let it stand for a week, like Janet says try gentle jacking on bottom studs use large penny size washers between nuts and barrels to spread load, applying some pressure, heat up barrels hand hot, then work round the barrels with a hard mallet and block of hard wood, strike at 90 degrees to fins not a angle , you don't want to break fins, if no joy, reapeat process,
Being a triple it could be the rings have rusted in bores. Good luck with the project .as they say softly , softly catchee monkey.
Last edited by bitza on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

bitza wrote:Try parrafin / diesel mix down bores let it stand for a week,
Just to avoid the thread going up a blind alley, Mick has recently added that th'engine is free and not seized. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bitza

Post by bitza »

Point noted Spriddlers , but if the engine is free and spins ok, could it sealant on the base of cylinders, or if the same are alloy material
Might it be Electrolysis corrosion or rust between the head bolts and cylinder block just a thought looking at the photo he's I did I see the head bolts.