Breaking the Seal on Barrels

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: Breaking the Seal on Barrels

Post by SPRIDDLER »

(Not referring to you specifically Alan, but Mick edited his first post and it could easily be overlooked).

That's quite an effective puller that Mick's constructed and must be capable of applying a considerable pull.

If it's not electrolytic corrosion perhaps a very strong gasket goo has been used. In which case maybe heating the whole engine to soften the goo with the puller/bolts in tension would start it lifting, but I doubt Mick's oven is large enough to get it all in. Local heating with a flame isn't easy as the puller restricts where the heat can be applied.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bitza

Post by bitza »

Your fine their Spriddler not offended at all, it's like you say it could be a sealant problem, from past experience when fixing someone's car bodge you find that stuff sticks like the proverbial to a Blanket, L O L.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If it's stuck with goo it would resist one heck of a straight (i.e. vertical) pull.

Might be worth Mick putting it on the Triumph owners forum or the IKBA forum (was Real Classic) as there are a few Triumph gurus who post on there.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Spridders may have hit on something 'ere, corrosion and what he said between different metals, drop some 'plus gas' down the holding studs, then some more and heat the alloy around these, see what happens then. kind regards

Post by 1608 »

Took me two weeks to remove an old Jag head once ( using an engine hoist )because the head bolts had corrode and melded with the alloy head. Granted, this was due mainly to the ingress of water. However, I think patience is need here to prevent any damage. I would suggest putting the head under some sort of pressure with what ever method you choose and gentle heat and or solvents and leave. Stubborn barrels on bikes I have owned has been mainly due to the crank cases binding on the barrel sleeves and remedied by loosening the top case bolts.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Looking at the photo mick posted, do the head studs / bolts pass through to crankcases, is they do I inclined to think it's corrosion tween
Same and barrels, like gold star and 1608 say WD , solvent, heat, some pressure , get it nice and hot, leave it a while ,repeat the same,
As in my earlier post lots of patience,one other thought is the a hidden fastener on These barrels.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions - a quick update:

The barrels are under constant very high tension, (each of the jacking bolts is torqued to around 20 lbf/in) and the loose attachment studs / nuts and joint have been soaking in a mix of aviation fuel and WD 40 for the best part of a week now. Two or three times a day I go out and rap the base of the barrels with a club hammer via a piece of wood.

I'm beginning to resign myself to a full engine strip down as opposed to a top end only and waving goodbye to over £100 for the gaskets and seals :cry:

Hi Bitza - The head bolts only go as far as the barrels and I'm as sure as I can be that all the fasteners for the barrels are loose.

Regards Mick
bitza

Post by bitza »

Looks as though doing the right trick, like 1608 say's solvents ,release oils, heat etc like your doing, keeping pressure on the lifting
Frame,it looks like a slow job but I'd give it a week save the aggro of a complete strip good luck with it.
Looking at the photo again, how are the tappet blocks secured in the barrels or crankcases.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

in my view Plus Gas is a better penetrating fluid than WD40 many moons ago there was a thread, I believe on here, relating to a Morris Minor clubs mixing of a couple of substances and claiming the result to be far superior to any commercial releasing fluid . kind regards
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Goldstar

Thanks for the pointer - I found a topic, "Best Penetrating Oil" that says ATF and acetone in a 50% mix is very good - I have both of these products so that's today's project sorted.

I was aware that WD 40 isn't a particularly good penetrant which is why I mixed it with aviation fuel which amounts to expensive paraffin ;)

By the way, I see I made an error in an earlier post - the barrels are under tension of 20 Lbf/ft, (not inches).

Regards Mick