Breaking the Seal on Barrels

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Re: Breaking the Seal on Barrels

Post by Mick D »

Hi Les
leswaller wrote:Can you find some way of soaking the whole assembly in ATF/Acetone?
That's what I'm trying to do now, when I say 'I quench the studs' I pour ATF/Acetone mix onto them whilst very hot, (hot enough to ignite the mix), I keep applying until it pools around the studs and then leave it until the next day.

As a matter of interest I've just measured what's left of the engine, 50cm x 40cm x 45cm, that's a volume of 90 litres :o I'm guessing that I'd need about 50 litres of fluid to submerge it if I could find a container of that size.

I've resigned myself to the fact that this may be a, very, long process but I'm determined to not damage the barrels or crank cases, neither of which are replaceable.

Regards Mick
hwilkinson

Post by hwilkinson »

I can't believe its just the gasket holding on, with that puller you've rigged up surely it would have failed. There must be tons of lift. Is it a composite gasket? Perhaps some dental floss may cut through it. The central holding down stud look very corroded. I continue working on the studs with penetrating oil, I think you said some of the studs have started to come out with nuts?. Can you try to turn some of the other studs to break bond if they are corroded to the aluminum flange.
Good luck.
Harry
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Harry

Thanks for the dental floss suggestion - I'd not thought of that. The gasket is a relatively thick fibrous material, a bit like asbestos but I'm sure it's not.

It turned out that only one of the studs unscrewed when I tried to remove the nuts - it's a plain stud at one 'corner' :roll: I've tried using half nuts to lock the studs but there's no room to turn the lower one to wind out the stud :evil:

The studs are a mixture of three types according to the workshop manual:
Barrel studs.png
And all I can imagine holding things together are either the gasket or corrosion in the stud bores but my repeated heating, whacking, flooding should have penetrated that.

Off to experiment with dental floss.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Could be the studs passing through the hollow locating dowels have rusted together
Expat

Post by Expat »

Hi Mick,

Interesting post though a bit frustrating for you.

Just a thought, when I worked in the aerospace line, we had small tinplate reels of abrasive coated cord in different diameters, all around sixteenth inch. Varying grades, just cut off the length you need.

Wonder if you could get some it might help cutting through whatever you need to cut!

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
bitza

Post by bitza »

Just a thought on the studs passing through the dowels, when the barrels are pulled down do said dowels virtually come to face of barrel flange if they do could they have been squeezed and nipped on the studs.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

any further developments? kind regards
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

No new developments yet - I took a few days off to visit the Costa Del Crime and am now back refreshed - hopefully it won't be too long before I'm posting a 'They're Off' update to this thread.

Thanks all for your continued interest and suggestions.

Regards Mick
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Mick,

Referring to your jacking tool, I would suggest using it slightly differently than what you show in the picture. I would jack only on the outer head studs. This will bend the cylinder block upwards at the sides ever so slightly so that a crack can be opened up on the gasket at (one of) the sides. Use a razor blade or Stanley knife to get the crack going. You could also put some ice against the crankcase close to where you are working on the gasket, to pull the crankcase side slightly downwards.

Hope this can help.
Bjørn
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm a very happy man this morning - the barrels are off :D :D

An initial investigation would indicate they were being held together by the gasket and tight fitting dowels on the studs, there's very little indication of corrosion.

Having resisted a continual regime of heating beating and soaking I decided to purchase a larger nozzle for my propane torch, heated the barrels to boiling point and then whacked them with a club hammer via an oak drift and:
Going!.png
Then using the jacking screws:
Going!!.png
And eventually:
Gone.png
No damage sustained and I can at last get on with the engine inspection and re-build - thanks to all for the moral support and suggestions.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.