What model this ?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Theporkyfeet

What model this ?

Post by Theporkyfeet »

Hi, I am lookin at this 1984 Matchless 350 European Import. Could someone tell me what model it is and the pros & cons please? Maybe a 350 "short" ? has it the norton front end? the front hub looks big, is it a 18 or 19" wheels ? Many Thanks .Ooops! I cant see how to add a image ? When I click on "Img" it just inserts: [img][img]
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: What model this ?

Post by Eamonn »

Andrew, as a Guest of the Forum you cannot upload pictures directly - they have to be hosted elsewhere and a link to that picture placed in this Forum.

However, since we've been communicating by email, I've added the picture you sent me to this posting for others to see.

PorkyFeet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Corners like a Lego man
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Looks like a 64 350 or 500, dating will prove it.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Peculiar rear mudguard stay, passing around the suspension unit :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Theporkyfeet

Post by Theporkyfeet »

Thankyou very much Eamonn. I will become the full Monty when/if I purchase it ;)
Rob, It is being sold as a 350, but I was wondering if it is a "short" ? I believe they are quite rare and the top end even rarer :o
I think the seat has been lowered as well.
I have made an offer and awaiting their counter ;)
Theporkyfeet

Post by Theporkyfeet »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Peculiar rear mudguard stay, passing around the suspension unit :?
Maybe its for taking saddle bags ?....to stop them rubbing on the rear suspension or flopping into the wheel ?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Peculiar rear mudguard stay, passing around the suspension unit :?
That is strange, bends round the suspension unit. I had a stay something like that some one put on my 38 AJS. You also see them on old push bikes laced with string or the likes. They acted as a skirt guard. Even in the mid 60's not all ladies had taken to wearing trousers, or should that be slacks. Jeans or mini skirts. So they had the problem of their then, ankle length skirts, blowing into the rear wheel. Perhaps this guard was for that purpose or a stay to stop throw over panniers swinging into the wheel.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Certainly looks like a '64 on 350. The unusual rear stay is not original but not a bad idea as many of the later mudguards split due to vibration fracture.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Reynard24 wrote:........ many of the later mudguards split due to vibration fracture.
..and the 1954's as well, too, also. Needing a couple of patches bolted inside the cracks. Obviously, I don't do 'posh' but it lasted 3 years and 16,000 miles ;)
Split guard (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Theporkyfeet

Post by Theporkyfeet »

[quote= I've added the picture you sent me to this posting for others to see.

PorkyFeet.jpg
[/quote]

I guess nobody knows what model 1964 Matchless 350 it is please ? "short", G3s/M16s...?