The AMC God giveth...

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rob Harknett

Re: The AMC God giveth...

Post by Rob Harknett »

MalcW wrote:Thanks Colin

There was a bit more space with the Concentric, so I was a bit concerned that it's so tight with the correct carb. I guess it's a bit more spacious with the shorter barrelled 500s and 600s.

Cheers,

Malcolm
It is tight with the carb fitted. So the carb has to be slipped off . Top etc removed and refitted, complete with cables fitted. Then put the carb back on. I believe I have managed to change a broken cable with the carb still fitted. To refit, have to open up the throttle to compress the spring. Not sure about that ages since I've done it
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

I'm just relieved that it should be like it, even though it's awkward. I did start harbouring dark thoughts about bent frames...

Malc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

MalcW wrote:I'm just relieved that it should be like it, even though it's awkward. I did start harbouring dark thoughts about bent frames...

Malc
They did change the carb type in the mid 1930's to a horizontal mixing chamber, but soon went back to vertical. Cables swung out wide round the engine for horizontal carbs. A vertical carb will almost touch the frame. At least in that era, unlike the post war era, bikes HAD to be much more correct. AJS & Matchless were different, also many yearly / model differences.

Did you notice my comment part "3" in answer to a comment why do club spares not use part numbers for cables as in the spares books? They do if you look. Pictures to show them and how to find.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Rob

As I posted elsewhere, the excellent service from the club spares means that my new cables, throttle and grips have arrived already, so I look forward to fitting them all asap. I'm getting quite adept at carb fitting and removal.

Yes, I saw your pictures. Thank you, that's very useful.

Malc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Good luck Malcolm. The comment about why club does not use part list book numbers for cables, although they do. Was to help the person that made the comment, aware / how to find the pt. no's.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

So,progress is being made. I had to drill the threads out of the carburettor and the chrome clip on the top to clear the top hat ferrules on the new cables. Incidentally, the ferrules were slightly different sizes; is that normal? Then I found that the choke cable inner was about a 1/4" too short, so I wasn't getting full choke. Easily fixed by unwinding some of the cable outer. So I now have the new carb fitted with correctly functioning choke and throttle, the latter being operated by a nice new genuine Amal throttle. And the ugly cartridge oil filter which someone had hung immediately behind the LH fuel tap is now fitted under the seat. I had to move it, partly for aesthetics, but mainly because it fouled the float chamber on the Monobloc.

So there the bike was, on the sidestand, minus tank and seat, and looking quite tidy. I then decided just to kick it over a couple of times to check the new kickstand spring was OK. It was, but on the 2nd kick I rocked the bike a bit too much to the right, the propstand flicked up, and over the bike went. relatively gently, but unfortunately the toolbox lid was open at the time, and it landed on that. So now it doesn't fit too well. Time to pack up for the day...
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I've always rigged my side stand to stay extended rather than flick back when the weight is removed - ever since one of my pals AJS was accidently knocked over in the school bike park by someone leaning against it having a smoke.

Incidentally, I'm only aware of side stands that don't stay extended on AMC machines is this correct? (my Triumphs, Velocette, BSA all stayed put).

Regards Mick
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Mine all stay down for that reason, didn't Ducatti bring out self returning side stands with a few falling over in dealerships.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I much prefer my Matchless side stand to kick up and never attempt to kick-start it unless the centre stand is down or I'm sitting astride.
However I'm happy with the stands on my two modern bikes which always stay down because they have an electrical immobiliser to prevent starting unless the stand is retracted.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I've always rigged my side stand to stay extended rather than flick back when the weight is removed - ever since one of my pals AJS was accidently knocked over in the school bike park by someone leaning against it having a smoke.

Incidentally, I'm only aware of side stands that don't stay extended on AMC machines is this correct? (my Triumphs, Velocette, BSA all stayed put).

Regards Mick
Changing the spring position to keep the stand down is one of the jobs on my list (shame it wasn't a bit further up the list!).

My old Triumph Tiger Cub and my Norton Commando both had stands that stayed down.

Malc