Dynamo connection

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Dynamo connection

Post by MalcW »

Hi

The 2 wire dynamo on my Model 31 is connected to the wiring loom about 4 inches from the dynamo by a pair of crimped bullet connectors in a fetching shade of pink. I'm guessing that the original factory connections would have been soldered bullet connectors, but would they have been this close to the dynamo? I would have thought connectors much further up would have been better from a weather protection perspective? I thought I might have a tidy-up around here while I wait for a new magneto manual advance/retard spring to arrive, since the poltergeist that seems to live in my garage has run off with the original one while the cable was disconnected.

Thanks,

Malc
Rob Harknett

Re: Dynamo connection

Post by Rob Harknett »

As far as I know, no bullet connectors are used on dynamo wires at all. Also the wires run direct from the dynamo to the CVC unit. I have always made my own looms. I have never incorporated the dynamo wires within any part of the loom. Just the two wires within PVC sleeving. Direct to the CVC unit from the dynamo. Both of these parts should accept " hollow connectors " I am sure you are aware hollow connectors are solder less. Also tapered to fit tight. A couple of metre's of green and yellow wire ( which is thicker than standard lighting wire ) Plus a couple of metre's of sleeving, should do for a couple of twin engine bikes. You probably already have the hollow connectors fitted in the CVC and Dynamo. A couple of spares are always handy. Make the wires long enough, in case you ever need to cut back and renew a connection. I am relating to a single engine model, so a twin may have wires within the main loom running under the tank. There are no brakes/connectors in the wires on a single. I have never rewired a twin engine model, I think no breaks would eliminate connector problems that could arise. Perhaps some one will state why a twin would need mid way connectors.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.02.01_12h09m54s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by 1608 »

Unlike the later dynamos where the two wires are a push fit into the end cap, the earlier units had the wires fed through a gromet and were captivated inside the unit. So, presumably for convenience the wires were just cut near to the unit when it needed removing.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1608 wrote:Unlike the later dynamos where the two wires are a push fit into the end cap, the earlier units had the wires fed through a gromet and were captivated inside the unit. So, presumably for convenience the wires were just cut near to the unit when it needed removing.
I have never come across those dynamo's John. All mine have been the earlier type you describe. I have come across KUKU ??? CVC unit Lucas copies. They took bullet not hollow connectors , not a good tight fit unless squashed slightly oval.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

The connectors on my 1957 G80S are like these ones in the photo. They seem to work well. Cheers. Bruce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

These are what I referred to as Hollow connectors Bruce, also used to connect wire to bulb holders, as well as dynamo & CVC unit. Just push the wire in bend the bare wire over the outside. They may need opening up a bit after use, so they fit tight. A 6" nail will do that.
GOLDSTAR

!

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I would simply replace the wiring and run the new ones to the control box, shrink fitting the outside of 'em, or you could just paint the pink connectors black ! :beer:
MalcW

Re: !

Post by MalcW »

GOLDSTAR wrote:I would simply replace the wiring and run the new ones to the control box, shrink fitting the outside of 'em, or you could just paint the pink connectors black ! :beer:
Mine has been converted in the past to run on 12v, and has an anonymous silver box to handle voltage control, so I'll probably just trace the wiring up to a handy place and run a single cable up to there. But then I do have some black paint...

Malc
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi
I'd suspect your pink connectors are faded red preinsulated crimps from recent times, so definitely not as it left the factory!
Vehicle Wiring Products offer a range of connectors including British types as would have been used originally although others have confirmed how it would have been wired .
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...