Rear wheel spindle

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Group Leader

Re: Rear wheel spindle

Post by Group Leader »

This tale of course begs a question or two ....

When replacement / reproduction parts are sourced by the club how are they specified?

Does the club have access to the original manufacturing drawings, or is it more typically "send a bit and get it copied" in which case, how is the sample verified to be what it is thought to be?

Of course it may be that the original drawings don't exist (the Dh Mosquito builders recently hit the jackpot in this regard which is excellent news :) ) so Plan B has to suffice. No axes to be ground here, I'm just interested to know.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

There are vey few original factory drawings suitable for making parts.
Many of the parts come from long-established suppliers and in this case from a well-respected source that has now ceased manufacture.
Over the last few years we have accumulated samples of parts that can be used as patterns as and when needed.
Due to the nature of the business, many suppliers are semi-retired or part time and produce parts when time allows - the supply chain is becoming a “cottage industry” of small suppliers.
In this particular case there was no master sample or drawing to check against and as stated, they came from a reputable source where no previous problems had arisen.
Since the issue was raised, all other customers have been contacted and requested to return their parts and a new supplier is now on board with a verified sample to work from.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Does anyone know what happened to the original factory drawings? Are they still "out there somewhere", or were they destroyed for some reason?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

I believe that Russell Motors had a lot of them.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I had a similar problem with the tab washer for the engine sprocket on a S/Stroke comp engine, the club kept supplying the incorrect part, not really their fault these lumps are a bit rarer, I contacted Andrews engineering who were manufacturing the part and even he wasn't aware there was a difference he had been supplying the part under the incorrect part number for some time, I was asked to send the 'used' one I wished to replace and Andrews now supply the correct washer under the correct part number, I think we just need to be aware that on these bikes parts changed at the drop of a hat, the firm has been extinct now for what? 50yrs and, of course, in depth knowledge dissipates with the years, I think it is great that if we as members engage with the spares scheme and the suppliers, things can only get better and the bikes will remain extant for many years , so in the case of the wheel spindle all is well that ends well and the club spares have a little more knowledge and replaceable component. kind regards