Swarf

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mikeydpippin

Swarf

Post by mikeydpippin »

Had a bad thread on my G80 it was the top thread of the two oil pipe feeds on the engine.
I,ve had it drilled and helicoiled but the engineer believes some swarf may have gone into the engine, even though he put plasticine to cover the small hole, a small amount went through.
Don't want to split crankcases, anyone any idea how it can be removed, thinking about swilling engine with a degreaser, then filling with oil, a couple of times.
Mike
Mick D

Re: Swarf

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If I understand things correctly, that's the return side of the pump - any swarf should be trapped by the return chamber of the pump and go no further. I'd take out the pump have a look inside and remove any found.

In the unlikely event that a small piece has entered the gallery it should be transported back to the oil tank - so maybe your first engine run should be with the return to tank disconnected which should flush it out.

Regards Mick

Edited to add: Once the pump rotor is out you should be able to blow compressed air down the gallery to the return outlet, pretty sure this will get any swarf out but I'd still be tempted to run with the return disconnected initially.
mikeydpippin

Re: Swarf

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks for the advise Mick, wasn't 100% sure.
Mike